New clothing brand wants to bring back the swastika as a fashion logo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 7, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

2. AsherN macrumors 6502

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Too soon.

If any group were to reclaim it though, please have it be gays. Neonazis would lose their ****ing mind.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

from the mouths of midgets comes the obvious.

7. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Ugh. I actually have a really weird story to go with this but idk if it's forum appropriate.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unfortunately it only takes one group to ruin it for everyone.

10. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Yes,it's from the beginning a Buddhist symbol,also called "sun cross",but the problem is,that after what the German nazi party used it for,the symbol itself for many people stand for pogroms,gas chambers and concentration camps. Using it as a symbol on clothing,is to me the same as anti Semitic propaganda.
    Even the idea itself is very provocative to all the people that lost parts of their families in concentration camps.

11. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Eh, bring it back. I was thinking about launching an ISIS inspired brand myself with Trumps face on it.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Double quoted for good measure. It might be too soon forever.

It's too bad in a way, because it's an attractive design and very striking when used as a repeating pattern in something like a border of a garment or woven goods, or along the edge of any decorative object. However, it's been ruined by association. Whenever I'm making what's called a "charm" scraps quilt (each block is just a square of fabric but no fabric is repeated in the quilt), I have to put blocks up on a design wall, shuffle the light and dark fabrics around to some pleasing effect, then use a reducing glass or photographic equivalent to eliminate accidental suggestions of a swastika anywhere in the overall appearance of the thing.

It's amazing how anyone even slightly familiar with the history of WWII only needs to see part of a swastika to have that assocation to the Nazis come to mind. The "charm" type of simple quilts are hard to get a great balance in anyway. It's exasperating to find an arrangement looks good as I stand before the wall, then photo it, reduce it and groan when my pattern-recognizing brain instantly offers up "oh i know how that pattern really goes" -- no thanks to the godforsaken Nazis. Usually I catch the stupid things before I stitch them in place. Sometimes I skip the reduction and checking step and usually pay for it later on. This one I didn't notice until I had it out on the line to brush off loose threads. Rip and re-do... at least this one was near an edge of the thing.

C2017BadRightEdge.jpg

13. kobalap macrumors 6502

If that fails, you could also try a burning cross symbol. Popular with a lot of Trump supporters.

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Anyone who doesn't see the problem should wear one in public. You will then see the problem.

15. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Now-a-days nothing surprises me anymore. You have to remember that the KKK themselves had a rally back when Trump won the election, since they endorsed him.

16. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Swastika is just a symbol. More often than not, it is a symbol used auspiciously in India with Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists. Nazis used a variant of it and wrecked havoc with the symbol's symbolism.

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This made me think that in some parts of the world if a designer decided to adopt the American flag for design it would be just as offensive. Guess it all comes down to who killed members of your friends and family.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

If I'm not mistaken, that IS the Nazi Swastika, not the Bhuddist Swastika. The Bhuddist version is turns in the opposite direction/is mirror image.

IMG_8349.JPG

People can wear whatever they want, but they should at least get the symbol right. Even with the correct symbol, don't blame society when everyone thinks you're a neo-Nazi.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You'd get arrested if you walked around Germany with that on (that's if the cops got to you first). Two guys from China just got arrested for "saluting" like a Nazi on the steps of the Bundestag.

20. juanm, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Can't look at it more in depth right now, but I think it's related to this Planet Money episode regarding the trademarks war. If someone trademarks something, they prevent others from using it, but they must market something with the trademark. In this case it'd be a anti-racist person/company that want's to get there first.

"This year, things have developed faster than expected. The Slants, an Asian-American rock band that sued to be allowed to trademark their name, won their case and unleashed some demons; the chickens might be gaining on the eagles; and our presidential bot might need a few tweaks.

We find a race against racists
    "

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/07/28/540084544/episode-786-rest-of-the-story-2017-vol-1

And the original episode about the band The Slants
    http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/05/26/530252213/episode-774-unspeakable-trademark

21. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Interesting how one symbol used by the Nazi is so vivified whereas another symbol is not. In fact, it is highly regarded as both a design and a symbol. I refer to, of course, the Iron Cross.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing the design is so freaking awesome, people are willing to overlook any taint of Nazism.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The Iron Cross - while a genuine German symbol - actually predated the Nazis; the decoration was awarded in the First World War as well as the Second World War - and its historical associations in Germany are with the German military, not the NSDAP.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That symbol/medal was used long before the Nazi's (ie...Prussia).