New Coen Bros. film: "No Country for Old Men" - *spoiler alert*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aloofman, Nov 21, 2007.

1. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Who else has seen it? I really enjoyed it, but I'm still wrestling with the ending, which I won't say too much about except that it was unexpected. What did you think?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw it last week! It was awesome. It's probably their best, next to Fargo. Javier Bardem was creepy as hell.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It was great.

The ending did take me by surprise at first, but I'm happy with it. I definitely didn't expect that guy to get killed in his motel room by the drug dealers at that point in the film.

4. aloofman thread starter macrumors 68020

aloofman

Even more surprising to me was that we didn't get to see it. All the grisly close-ups of other people getting killed, but with him we only see the aftermath. Talk about audience manipulation!

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Just saw it today, and it is certainly impressive. Though very different from usual Coen brothers works, probably because they kept quite close to the book - which I think I will read soon.

6. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

The ending was there because it coincided with that of the book...so if you read the book it'll probably make more sense.

I for one loved this movie.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I thought it was an absolutely brilliant film. I thought the cast was fantastic, Bardem was extremely creepy. Usually I hate endings with no real closure, but in this case it didn't really matter to me. I think it shows how the characters just have to carry on, rather than trying to tie everything up.

What do people think about whether the life lives/dies? Part of me thinks she lives, as without a decision from the coin to go by, he can't kill her.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Why does everyone like this film? I thought it was complete crap. :eek: