New Connecticut and New York Gun Control Laws in Effect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Here are two articles regarding gun control laws I've been sitting on before posting, due to the registration provisions in each of the laws (I was waiting for those periods to expire). I'll post bits from both.

First, from New York, where a federal judge upheld provisions in NY's gun control law, despite a lawsuit challenging those provisions brought on by an NRA-affiliated group in New York. NPR tells the rest:

Next comes Connecticut, where there was a mad dash to get firearms registered before January 1st, as anytime after that date they are deemed contraband. The Associated Press, via HuffPo, continues:
    Both of these laws came about as outcome from Sandy Hook. So I guess the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution does have limits after all, despite consternation and disbelief from various groups.

BL.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They seem to be using assault rifles rather loosely. Are these idiots just considering anything that is a semi automatic weapon an assault rifle?

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why would you need to shoot something 5 times in one second? That's poor marksmanship, and rather foolish.

If you have to manually reject the shell/load another, you will take more time to assure you don't miss.

Even semi-automatic shotguns require plugs in some jurisdictions when hunting wildfowl. And their range is much less.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So these restrictions should make shootings in Hartford and The Bronx less frequent than Casper, Wyoming which has few firearms restrictions...right?

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I doubt the restrictions will do anything to prevent shootings, someone who wants to go postal is gonna do it either way, the gun will probably be illegal anyway.

Though I try not to compare gun violence in a state like New York to a state like Wyoming. Wyoming and New York are night and day. New York has lots of urban centers, a high population, and major cities will always have high crime rates compared to small towns and farmland. Probably a side effect of stuffing so many people into a small area.

Wyoming is different in the sense that it has a very low population ( barely half a million ), no major cities or population centers, and is basically a giant wilderness. So, low crime rates tend to occur when there aren't many people.

We can also assume that in a state like Wyoming, most of the guns are being used for hunting, sport and defense from wild animals for people ( most of the entire state ) living out in the sticks. Different world from the city.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Perfect synopsis.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That doesn't make the gun an assault rifle, this is nothing more than a scare term conjured up to scare people who do not know any better.

Most states you hunt birds in require a plug whether your shotgun is semi automatic or not.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ask yourself, why do they mandate that?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because those damn commies just love to trample my rights ;)

11. chown33 macrumors 604

The term assault rifle doesn't appear in the posted excerpts, nor in the original linked articles**.

The term assault weapon, however, does. And the WSJ article even puts it in scare quotes:
    Guns classified as “assault weapons” must be registered with the state by April 15, 2014.

The distinction:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
    An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1] ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon
    Assault weapon is a political and legal term that refers to different types of firearms, and that has differing meanings, usages and purposes. ...

In discussions about firearms laws and politics in the U.S., assault weapon definitions usually include semi-automatic firearms with a detachable magazine and one or more cosmetic, ergonomic, or safety features, such as a flash suppressor, pistol grip, or Barrel shroud, respectively.[6] Semi-automatic firearms fire and reload only one bullet (round) per trigger pull.[7] Most assault weapon definitions are limited to rifles,[citation needed] but some pistols and shotguns also sometimes fall under the varying definitions.[1][8] Some firearms are specified by name. Some gun control advocates have attempted to place pump-action shotguns in this category.[citation needed]

I'm pretty sure you're conflating or mistaking the two terms, when they are not in fact interchangeable.

** The caption of the lead photo in the NPR articles describes the gun being held as an "AR-15 assault rifle". I can't tell if it is or not by the photo, but if it doesn't have selective-fire modes, then it's not an assault rifle, and the caption would be wrong.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would assume that after 3 shots you probably aren't going to be fully taking down the birds. If you miss your first two shots you are pretty much screwed anyways.

----------

Assault weapon then, are they considering any semi automatic rifle an assault weapon? That is ridiculous that the definition hinges on cosmetic features.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love how the gun guys always get hung up on the terms. To me it's the same mindset as car guys. I don't care if it's a turbo'd v8 or a stock four-banger, its a car.

Same for guns, it's a weapon.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe it's to give the poor beasties a fighting chance.

Oh, and to limit the kill rate. And that's why you don't need assault rifles.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You hunt to eat, and you hunt for sport. Not the reasons why everyone owns a gun.

Hunting seldom factors into most gun purchases, so whenever some political fool talks about not wanting to hurt Fudds, I instantly tune out what they have to say.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

So if a city or state passes any law you immediately believe it is constitutional?

18. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That is where our judicial branch comes in, as their part in checks and balances is to uphold or strike down laws that were passed. Since they did the former, the law passed is constitutional, despite your grandstanding that the 2A is without limits.

BL.

19. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

From someone who hunted qual when I was a teenager we used small shotguns that could carry 6 in the chamber and one in the breach. You would be lucky to get one shot off. There is a reason why they call it bird shot.

20. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yea sure, because a law has NEVER been struck down in the history of the United States due to constitutional rights reasons.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So Elmer, you need a Barrett 50 for what purpose, demolition??

I've shot 1,000s of rounds, and almost all were 22LR with a target rifle, single-shot .

I have also shot most calibres up to 357 and 9mm. And shotguns.

If you need to shoot something from 1,000 yards away, repeatedly, then you could use another 'hobby'.

This one has gone berserk.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You missed his point entirely. Just the fact that the you said was struck down shows how the checks and balances are supposed to work.

Your post only bolstered his, you get that right? :confused:

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Right, because everyone is just like you. If you don't need/want them then why would/should anyone else?

This is a great law. Finally no more gun deaths in New York and Connecticut. Thanks Obama!

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Please, don't go down this rhetorical rabbit hole. No one is stating that this will eliminate all gun deaths. These are acts that are supposed to reduce them.

I don't care what your ideological bent is, this country has one hell of a gun violence problem.

25. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Why do you find it necessary to tell over people what they need to do? How many people have been killed with the .50 BMG round in the United States or Canada in the last 20 Years?