New decent monitor for work - IPS for £270?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedTomato, Jan 27, 2009.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

So I'm buying two more monitors for work.

We already have a Dell 2408, which is lovely, except that the text is perhaps not as crisp as I'd like. I suspect it needs better calibration than I can give it.

We also have a 2007WFP, which is very nice.

Now I'm looking to buy 2 more 20inch monitors - they're for general work, minor video and photo editing, typing up stuff. NOT for game playing.

My budget is £270 each. ($350ish) It looks like an IPS monitor is what I need. But Dell doesn't sell the 2007WPF and hasn't updated it.

it's 2009 now, and I've done some research and looked at old MR threads, and I'm officially hopelessly lost.

Help plz? Any recommendations?

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to have a difficult time finding an IPS monitor for that price. The cheapest IPS monitors I can find come from Dell and HP. Even then, you're looking at $500-$600.

3. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

OK thanks for getting back to me.

If IPS isn't possible, what other monitors would you recommend for work for about $350?

4. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Eeek am not buying a work monitor from fleabay. If it was for home use, maybe.

EDIT: Thanks for the link but I'm just looking for monitor recommendations. I'd rather buy a work monitor from a reputable source.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I wish I could suggest something. I got a 23" viewsonic VP231wb from scan for £230 some time ago. I think that is S-IPS, so they do come up from time to time.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/products2.asp?CategoryID=99&SubCategoryID=14 occasionally have such things, but I can only see 19" S-IPS screens within your budget.

I think you may have to go with one of the more normal cheaper types, as suggested. They're potentially OK nowadays.

6. beachdawg macrumors newbie

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

In terms of general image quality the better TN 22"s are fine - but it's just that colour shift issue. Depends on how critical that is I suppose.

Dell are supposed to be releasing the 2209WA soon in the UK. It's some sort of cost-reduced IPS panel, and possibly the first non-TN in a 22" form factor if I'm not mistaken. Prices should be around, or just above, your ballpark.

I'm up to my ears in newly replaced (and still being replaced) refurb ACD's so have no need for another monitor for probably a couple of years - otherwise I'd have ordered one out of curiosity. I'm sure Dell have realised that the panel geeks will automatically latch onto anything IPS, given all the half-truths from no experience floating around the Internets - so they must be expecting this to sell like hot cakes among the geek community. It'd be interesting to see what this panel actually delivers - but I think I'm holding off making unnecessary purchases this year.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo