New Details Emerge on GOP Plans to Repeal and Replace Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 6, 2017.

1. samcraig, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.1ee2ef667419

I don't really see how this is going to help those who need it. For example:

Under two bills drafted by separate House committees, the government would no longer penalize Americans for failing to have health insurance but would try to encourage people to maintain coverage by allowing insurers to impose a surcharge of 30 percent for those who have a gap between health plans.

The tax credits seem good but it would really depend on how the GOP handles caps and lifetime benefits. As of right now - it looks like caps are coming back.

Some NICU babies his their cap before they even breath on their own. And quite frankly if older people are hit with medical emergencies and hit caps, it could be devastating. For a "pro-life" President....

Also

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-obamacare-repeal-20170306-story.html

Essential health benefit rules are repealed. As of Dec. 31, 2019, ACA rules that required qualified health plans to provide hospitalization, maternity care, mental health services and other benefits would be sunsetted. That’s likely to make maternity coverage, among other services, immensely expensive, if available at all. State could maintain the standards if they wish, but the federal standards would be eviscerated.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/us/politics/affordable-care-act-obamacare-health.html

Highlights:
    • Insurers still cannot deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.
    • Large employers no longer required to provide insurance to full-time employees.
    • No more penalty for not buying insurance, but if you aren't insured, then insurers are allowed to charge up to 30% surcharge on top of premium when/if you do buy insurance.
    • Age-based tax credits to defray the cost of individual market premiums, with income limits.
    • Changes to Medicaid funding.
    • Higher HSA contribution limits.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. Michael Scrip, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 601

But the orange guy said it was a "disaster"

Shouldn't it need a major overhaul?

Also... it's funny that it took the D's six years to get it passed... and it took the R's only six weeks to lightly fix it.

I guess it was easy when all the hard work was done by the D's first!

:D

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not 100% true I don't think as written. That's if you go from one health plan to another. It doesn't forbid denial if there's a gap in insurance or for those seeing insurance who do not currently have it.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, one thing they CAN get rid of is the TAX I have to pay now against my current health care plan offering which is basically legalized theft. Just got a letter from my company that even though I do NOT partake in my companys health care offering, the fact that its even offered is enough for them to stick with me a fee. Complete garbage.

So, yeah, get rid of this crap. Why should I pay a tax on a plan I dont even use? What a scam.

7. zin macrumors 6502

Paul Ryan gets more donations from the insurance industry than anybody else. Is it any wonder a lot of Trump's platform didn't make it into this bill?

The GOP grandstands for six years under Obama and when the time comes, all they can deliver is Obamacare Lite that is a huge giveaway for insurance companies, even more so than Obamacare the original. There is nothing in this that would force insurers to compete for your business, such as competition with neighbouring states.

Trump should threaten to veto this bill until he gets the deal he campaigned on.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Speaking of scam, this new "plan" from the GOP makes it so you can just pay a fee directly to the insurance companies for not having insurance.....which is a tax, except it goes directly to a company that isn't providing you jack ****.

What say ye on this?

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't understand how this is possible. Is this accurate and forced? I thought you either buy into your insurance or you pay the IRS $650 at tax time. I haven't heard of anyone having to pay an insurance company or their employee for opting out.

On this we completely agree. THIS plan - as is - seems like a real disaster. And by allowing people to opt out without any penalty, the insurance companies will be losing money. Which means premiums are likely to skyrocket for those insured.Not to mention, it looks like they are doing away with caps. So the sky's the limit. And if you don't have coverage now? 30% tax to sign up. Have a pre-existing condition and no insurance now? You can be denied.

Trump said he could sit idly by and watch ACA implode or do something. This is just expediting an implosion at the cost of the people who voted for him. If he doesn't veto this "as is" - there are going to be a lot of voters who quickly feel the pain. I make it no secret that I dislike Trump - but this was an area I was hoping he might actually come through and deliver a plan that would at least be "similar" if not better.

This is not only a horrible plan - but one that should not be rushed through just to check it off his list of campaign promises fulfilled (the repealing and replacing part - not making it better).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2017 ---
    Well - it looks like Trump can't read or doesn't care...

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 8.04.12 AM.png

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The House is trying to move it through for a vote before the CBO even gets to score it. These *******s are doing exactly what they accused the Dems of doing (except the GOP offered several hundred amendments and got many in the ACA in exchange for votes, which they bailed on).

Where are all the "Real American" patriots that are outraged by this absolute ******** process?

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Trump was projecting when he said he could sit by and let ACA implode. What he meant was that the Americans that voted for him will now sit by and watch their healthcare implode. Not sure this will help them for mid-terms let alone in 4 years. Unless they think this plan will literally kill of more of the left than the right.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Funny that I've seen republicans arguing that making the poorest/high risk Americans go through insurance companies is a waste of money because you have to pay for the insurance part when you know it's a losing tradeoff, so they opt for Medicare, but they fail to extend this to the entire populace.

Everyone does or will need healthcare, insurance companies offer you nothing besides extracting money that could be used to care for patients.

Tax credits will simply flow to insurance companies.
    The CBO hasn't been able to properly estimate anything related to healthcare.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You understand that the procedure for legislation has always been to get it scored right? The GOP used many of the CBO projections to attack the ACA originally, so what has changed?

Do you get tired of callous partisanship, ever?

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

15. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

I'd bet on both

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This new plan sounds like giving with one hand and taking away with the other. The problem is simple: does the US distribute the risk of an individual's ill-health among all its citizens or not? If the answer is yes, then forget insurance and institute a nationalised health care system paid by taxation. If not, be willing to watch people die or be disabled from lack of medical care.

And by the way, those who complain about taxes or insurance fees because they're always healthy will one day require medical treatment. It's just a matter of time.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Trump established his Administration's intent of insurance for all. This will be an interesting sell and a chance for the GOP to fall on their sword. They describe the ACA as a disaster for Americans, yet, the things they are changing are not much different, except cutting back Medicaid which will hurt low income workers.

I like the 30% surcharge, but that is similar to being penalized under the ACA.

Affordability? How do tax credits compare to the subsidized nature of the ACA, more or less affordable? And what is the substantial difference between an ACA subsidy and a tax credit?

Medicaid funding cut?

Higher HSA contribution limits do jack for low income workers, the people who really can't afford health care.

So I assume they are dismantling the marketplace. This is a mistake, the government should facilitate such a device for side by side comparisons.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Still a scam - aint saying the GOP is any better but Barry-Care stinks too :(

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ryan and McConnell will sit down and work something out real soon now, you watch.

RyanAndMcConnellRegardingACANegotiations.jpg

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Agreed, because (and I've literally been saying this since day one if you'd like to go back and see) the entire thing was a short term handout to the insurance industry to placate the population for another decade before a actual healthcare solution is implemented for the country. Suck out a few more billions before conditions and cost force the only thing that actually makes sense, a universal not-for-profit healthcare system. The ACA/whatever trump will call it is nothing more than propping up a disgraceful healthcare insurance industry.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes it is. Bigly. Medicare expansion would be stopped. Much like a phone plan, people would be grandfathered in if they are on it now, but if you ever get off for any reason, there's no going back, ever. Everyone else would be shut out. Secondly, the amount of dollars given to states for this would be capped.

So basically screw the poor people once again.

Why is there a phase 2 and 3???????

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not sure how anyone can expect the cost of healthcare to come down without the mandate.
    Obama care has nothing to do with medicare. I think you mean Medicaid. One of the chief architects of the ACA, the man who admitted they lied and had to because "the american people are too stupid" has come out with a study that showed 2/3rds of the medicaid expansion enrollees qualified for medicaid before the expansion.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, I don't see cost addresses with anything I have seen so far.

• Cover people up to 26 on parents plan? That's a cost.
    • Cover preexisting conditions? That's a cost.
    • Allow people to not have insurance? That's a cost to everyone else when they get sick or hurt.
    Ah, but don't worry. Americans have choices. So just give up an iPhone. Yeah, that'll cover the cost. :rolleyes:

Chaffetz: Low-income Americans will have to choose health care over iPhones
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/politics/jason-chaffetz-health-care-iphones/

24. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

that guy's face is just begging to be punched

25. BoxerGT2.5, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This idea that the ones using all the resources can actually be the ones lowering the costs is absurd.

Hate to tell you but I agree with Chaffetz to some extent, many peoples priorities are ass backwards. 80% of people when they get their cell phone bill, their cable bill, and a doctors bill will pay the first two every month and put off the 3rd until they start getting final notices. I don't know how many people we've seen in our office asking us to forgive balances (some applied to their deductible, which we can't forgive) while they have their $400 purse hanging from their arm and their $800 phone in the other hand.