New display now or wait? Help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PieMac, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    I've had my eye on the now "old" design 20" Apple cinema display for a while now. When I purchased my dual PM G4 last September, I talked myself into the 17" studio display instead to save $$ and it's been a great display and it suits my needs just fine...I was also able to get Apple Care on it as I purchased it with the PM which is a big plus...BUT... I still am jonesing for the 20" cinema. I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but it won't go away and I know it's now or never if I want one.

    I have noticed that a few online companies have already reduced their older 20" displays by around a hundred dollars (some a few bucks more). Should I go ahead and buy or wait to see if Apple does any better on the price reduction? One thing: I would have to pay tax if I bought from Apple (around another $75.00) whereas I could purchase tax free with free shipping from another retailer.

    Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
  2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a


    Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I'd buy now. I doubt the prices will be dropped any more, but reather they'd run out of supply. The only question is: Do you really need it?

  3. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    Not technically, no. But, I had always planned on upgrading to the cinema display down the road. I just prefer the screen real estate and the overall look. I spend a lot of time on my Mac (too much) so I know it wouldn't be a waste. I was secretly hoping that the new displays would blow me away so that I could just put it off for another year or so but, alas, I prefer the look of the old...especially since it complements my dual mirror door G4 (which I plan on keeping for at least another 4 years) so beautifully.

    One other thing: it would pull double duty at times as my other half (whose an artist) uses Photoshop a great deal and is planning on sharing some of the real estate space with me (she has the 15" iMac but she has no interest in upgrading anytime soon...she loves the design and doesn't want to change it).

    So, no, I don't need it or need to spend the $ on it, but I won't have another chance after supplies are exhausted (and I don't want to risk getting one on EBay) and I don't want to be kicking myself down the road for not taking advantage of the moment. What to do, what to do....
  4. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I have trouble deciding on something when I'm in a dilemma, try to talk to myself one way or the other. My wife is perfect willing and pushing me on my decision. The only concern though would be not having the 3 year AppleCare coverage with your decison.
  5. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    Me too...I'm terrible at making decisions. My other half has left the decision up to me :rolleyes: although I think that she would prefer that I just keep the Studio display. However, she won't be upgrading her iMac and therein lies a tradeoff which she acknowledged the other day. I know she lusts for the cinema display as well :)

    The Applecare is a definite plus. I called Apple and, as expected, it can't be transferred to a new display, BUT, it can be transferred to a new owner which is what I would probably do...sell it on Ebay. Hopefully, the Applecare would also help sweeten the price. Too, my current monitor is dead pixels or anything...which is another reason to hang on to it. And I keep reading about how great dual monitors are...can't even go there...but would love to check it out (the road to damnation for sure). *sigh*
  6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Get the clear 20" now before stock runs out and you'll be forced to buy the new ugly version. /me loves his 20" Cinema.
  7. raynegus macrumors regular

    Jul 5, 2003
    I'd wait and try to save for a 23" aluminum. The 20" is ok but hell, why stop there? ;)

    The new displays are supposed to have better image quality. And I'd hold off on calling them ugly until you see one in person. I remember when the G5 first came out and I thought it was butt ugly until I saw one at an Apple store. The thing is a beauty in person and the same may be true with the aluminum displays.
  8. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    I really am set on the older model as it perfectly matches my G4 and the 20" is really a good size (IMHO)...not too big, not too small...nice compromise. I'm having a hard enough time justifying spending the $ as it is...'fraid the 23" is out of the question...besides, I know the other half would say a big NO! :rolleyes:
  9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020


    Aug 5, 2003
    I love this place...

    It's alwasy the same, when a new product is released :D ...

    Buy now or wait? :rolleyes: This should be a rule here...

    No "Buy now or wait?" thread after one month of the release :eek:

    P.S Buy now!!! ;)

Share This Page