New Dock Connecter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KBaity, Sep 7, 2012.

1. KBaity macrumors newbie

In a day and age where the only time I connect my iPad and iPhone to my MBP is to transfer photos, because I prefer it over photo stream, why in the world would Apple switch the dock connecter? It doesn't make any sense to me to create a new connecter that the iPad isn't updated to. So now people have to carry 2 cords in my Booq bag rather than my universal one. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think the idea is ridiculous.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess Apple is just making money.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yeah... it has to be that and can't be, after 11 year of using the same connector, that they'd rather move to something that's much smaller and doesn't take up quite as much room in the phone.

If you're that bothered by carrying 2 cords, carry just the one... and an adapter.

3. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I don't think the main reason is to make money, Apple does not make many accessories and the iphone comes with cables.

IMHO the main reason to change the connector is because of the size. The dock connector was introduced for the 2003 iPod. An smaller connector allows for thinner devices/larger batteries. That's why most phones have moved from SD cards to micro SD and mini USB connectors.

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

Think about it: They've had that same dock connector for nearly a decade now. They can't leave it there forever. Eventually it'll just take up too much space that could otherwise be used for a larger battery, to move some things around (in this case it involved moving the headphone port to the bottom so that Apple could use the room given up at the top to use the in-cell tech that is rumored to be in the next iPhone), reduce thickness, get rid of unnecessary pins and make the speaker on the bottom bigger, etc.

Apple needed to get rid of it. If they were in it just to make more money off of new accessories/cables, they'd have done this a long time ago. So for now you'll have two cords, but in a year or two, it'll be back to one cord as the whole iOS device lineup is said to be getting the new connector either this fall, or early next year. The new connector is also rumored to support USB 3.0 which will make syncing, backing up, restoring, etc. faster.

And anyways, even if this is still a huge issue for you, just buy an old-to-new cable adapter that Apple will be selling for $10 once the new iPhone is out. Keep the adapter connected to your old docks, speakers, whatever and you'll never have a problem.

This really is a non-issue. I just do not understand why some people are saying that they're doing it just for the money or are acting like it's the end of the world (not saying you are, just a lot of people are in general, when in reality it is a non-issue). At the rate that technology is moving, I'm surprised that they even kept it for so long. They easily could've done this years ago.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple being style conscious may have changed it so it's better looking.

6. sexiewasd macrumors regular

My opinion is that it's about time this happened. I kind of wished that it would be a move to mini USB, or Micro USB being that the iPhone is a phone.

7. videoadvert.tv macrumors newbie

The only thing I use my cable for is charging. I'm sure I am not alone. Seems pointless to change it unless you are adding functionality.

Could wireless charging be a possibility?

8. ARSC macrumors 6502

Wireless charging, not on apple yet.

On lumia it looked pretty impressive.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

My concern is the loss of features. Based on some of the rumored docks and adapters having a 3.5mm plug in addition to the connector, I guess we're losing line level audio out. I also am not sure how they'll support HDMI out with only 8/9 pins

10. KBaity thread starter macrumors newbie

I can understand doing it for added functionality, such as battery and other things. I just love the universality of my chargers/cords. But I also realize that at some point, they have to change one in order to get the ball rolling on them all.

11. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I actually don't mind the change to a new connector. I plan on ordering an extra (if they're available) when I pre-order the new iPhone.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Apple won't make that much off of this. Third party accessory companies will. Who buys insanely overpriced charging cables direct from Apple when you can walk in to any target, walmart, etc and get them for less than half of what Apple wants. I have a great, sturdy, super long charger for my iPad that costs very little and has stood the test of time better than any apple 30 pin cable I've had over the years.

The 30 pin is a dinosaur by tech standards, I don't understand why people can't see that. It's amazing it lasted this long. People complain that the 30 pin dinosaur is getting axed and in the same breathe they complain that Apple isn't innovating anything. It's like being upset there is no parallel printer port on your MBP.

13. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

didnt the change come ebcause of USB 3.0 and the design change required Apple to change it ? Thought I read it somewhere.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Relax, Apple's new dock connector is A Good Thing

----------

The pillow, while cute, seems impractical. I think I prefer the Palm Touchstone.