New earpods bad for calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brudog68, Sep 22, 2012.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

They sound great when playing music etc, but when Ive used them for calls, the person on the other end sounds choppy and told I sound that way too...anyone else?

2. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Same here-- at first I thought it was the other person's phone, but then I realized it is mine. It is as if the ends of words get cut off... maybe something to do with noise cancellation?

3. supervelous macrumors 6502

Yes! I thought I made a thread bout this yesterday but couldn't find it so maybe I never hit submit. I had a few calls using the headset where people would fade in and out and it would get choppy, at first thought my connection or other person but every time I took the ear buds out everything was crystal clear

4. mebehere macrumors regular

Same here. Kind of annoying. Plus, my Jabra Easygo doesn't work with the 5.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

6. Rigby macrumors 601

I think I have the same issue. It doesn't seem to be related to the "earpods" though, since it also happens with the old Apple earbuds. It sounds like overly aggressive silence suppression to me (perhaps part of the noise cancellation algorithms?).

7. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I used them last night and my girlfriend didn't say anything and usually she is the first to tell me if I don't sound like usual.

8. supervelous macrumors 6502

I'm going to try to use different headphones with a mic on the iphone 5 and see if it happens, and also use the Apple Earbuds to talk on my S3 and see if it happens.

See if we can isolate it to the phone vs. the ear buds.

9. willdude macrumors member

I noticed the same choppy call quality with my old iPhone 4's earbuds, which never exhibited the problem on the iP4. Not using earbuds, things sounded perfectly fine. Switching to the new earpods instead, it was a little better, but I didn't have much time to test it.

Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

10. SeahorseSeaEO macrumors newbie

I am hearing the same thing.

I have filed a bug with Apple.

11. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

I think the old earbuds are still for sale. damn this is not good.

12. willdude macrumors member

Are you hearing it with older earbuds or the new earpods? Or both?

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Are you sure you have them in all the way? I noticed that there was one little push at the end.

I have used them twice (both with my wife) and she never said anything about the quality of our call and she would be the first to complain about the quality and/or reception of any call.

Oh, and one of the calls was during a jog, so I was moving around quite a bit...

14. willdude macrumors member

Yeah, it was in all the way. The person on the other end said I sounded fine to them, and when I listen to other audio on the phone, it sounded fine. It was only when the other person was talking that their voice sounded choppy.

15. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Is it with all callers? Or just one person? Is it when you initiated the call or when they call you? Maybe it was just a bad connection... :confused:

16. willdude, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

willdude macrumors member

I tested this a little more last night and think the new earpods are a bit better than the old iPhone 4 earbuds. It feels like the phone is incorrectly filtering certain frequencies and volumes of the other person's voice out, so if they talk a bit lower or with a vocal fry, it cuts the volume. And it's only doing it for headphones, because just using the built-in earpiece seems fine.

Edit: One thing I'm wondering is whether it's possible that the noise-cancelling mics on the front, bottom, and back aren't properly shutting off when headphones are plugged in, so they're attempting to filter out sounds that shouldn't be affecting you anyway.

17. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wondering this myself

18. willdude macrumors member

I'm not sure whether what I said even makes sense, though. I'd think those noise-filtering mics would be used to filter out noise from *your* voice being sent to the other end, and wouldn't at all affect the sound quality coming *from* the other end.

19. adeedew macrumors regular

I have noticed this too! I had to switch to old iphone 4s ear phones during a call to see if that was the problem and it is, it's the new ear pods for sure, what a bum out as they're better for music etc! Wow, so how to we report this? Extremely disappointed as i use the earbuds for all calls and on calls all the time.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I've noticed a generally choppy effect when the person that I'm talking to is using a cordless phone. Not a cellphone per se, but a cordless home phone. There's something about the frequencies not playing nicely together that makes the call sound inferior, and not just on earbuds. Any chance that this figures into your experiences?

21. gweislein macrumors newbie

Consistently Choppy Voice Reception

I thought that it was the call connection, or other peoples' phones. However, last night, when talking to my GF, I disconnected the earpods and the call quality was perfect. As mentioned by others, the sound quality is fantastic when playing music. I Plug the earpods back in, and I was only hearing every second syllable. This is brutal, as I use my earbuds for conference calls every day, so I have my hands free to type. And no, speaker phone is not an option, and "yes", I have the plug in all the way.

22. jboyzh macrumors member

After using iPhone 5 since day 1, I sometimes experienced low phone call quality, but until today, I always thought the problem was on the other end, because often, call quality was quite good.

Today I finally checked iPhone 5 together with two sets of new Earpods, one set of old Apple Earphones, and iPhone 5 without earphones, on the same call, and the result was clear - at least in this case:

- iPhone 5 alone w/o earphones: good phone call quality

- iPhone 5 with old Apple earphones: good phone call quality

- iPhone 5 with new Apple Earpods, 2 sets tested: more often than not quite low quality phone calls; sometimes the hiccups and interruptions are so bad that I can't understand what the other person is saying, and I often had to ask the caller to repeat, and speak louder/more clearly.

It seems to me there's definitely some problem either with the new Earpods, or the combination iPhone 5 with Earpods.