new earpods

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Uabcar, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I know similar observations have been posted already but given that I just got my set with the new phone - I've got to say that I'm blown away by the new earpods.

I would categorize myself as a moderate audiophile - Prob in the 1-2% group to use currently popular segmentation (is won't ever spend $500 for iem but have been known to spend >$200). Not going to debate the definition of an audiophile here.

I'd say the best way to describe the night and day difference between these and the previous apple earbuds is that they have an open and very clear soundstage. The bass response - which was non-exist with the earbuds, is really good - particularly for non in-ear monitors. The old version's sound could best be described as thin, shallow and slightly blurred. These have a much more open soundstage and and are remarkably clear. Highs are better and lows are much better.

I've probably got 6 sets of Klipsch s4i's and x10's that I use for everything from casual listening to mowing the grass and running. To be clear, I will not be switching away from these as they are still superior. However, I will be occasionally using these - especially where I'm worried about breakage and/or want to be more aware of my surroundings. At $29 they are cheap enough to replace when required.

I expect that the vast majority of casual music lovers will be more than happy and never consider the need for alternatives.

2. Joewat64 macrumors regular

3. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

nope - but they do a appear to drop frequencies occasionally. Can't wait for my upcoming free earpod bumper.

4. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

They are absolute crap.
    Still.

I have them in whilst I wait for my headphones I ordered a few days ago to arrive.
    It offends me to listen to them. Haha.

5. sixteen12 macrumors regular

I will be using these more than my S4i because they sound almost as good, but people at the office can still interrupt me. Solid headphones, especially for free.

6. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

7. handinhand12 macrumors newbie

For real? I'm honestly amazed with them for what they are. I mean, they're free/cheap headphones for casual listeners. And they are a vast, vast improvement over Apple's previous entry-level headphones. I think they're great. Would I replace my current headphones with the EarPods? Nope. But the difference between these and similar priced headphones out there is astounding.

8. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Yep for real! Sadly.

I do class myself as an audiophile though - wrongly or not I don't know. But I put them in, hit play on a track and I hear hardly any difference at all. It's still like someone has rammed cotton wool down my ears and put these on top of that. Muffled is an understatement. They still don't go in your ears well either - and I have my music on pretty low at the minute and my sister is still telling me to turn it down. Haha. Still leak noise.

As I say though - I am a big believer in 'you get what you pay for' and headphones are the biggest testament to that. In most cases as there are expensive sets out there that aren't great.

But I pay a lot for mine and have done for the new pair that I am waiting on. But that's because I think it's totally offensive to listen to your favourite music with cheap crap headphones.

I would never pay for these. For free they're still bad. IMO of course.

9. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

i think my ears are retarded. earbuds and earpods just don't stay in. maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i need in ear ones. the slightest pull on the cord makes them fall out. even a slight movement of my head. haven't tried listening to them so i can't comment about sound quality, just wanted to see if they stayed in any better than earbuds. nope :(

10. gmans46 macrumors regular

they stay in my ears but I would be lying if I said I noticed the audio difference, I really dont.

11. zaxdude macrumors regular

I totally agree - count me at +1 to the retarded ear group. I haven't tried the new ones yet, but the former ones simply would not stay in my ear -- ever. I'll give the new ones a try of course, but the "in ear" ones I have are the only things that will stay in my ear.

12. colquhounclan macrumors newbie

To you guys comparing them to the Klipsch S4i's, are you using Comply foam tips or the silicone ones that came with them? I've been using the Comply tips and the isolation is remarkable, it's like wearing over-the-ear enclosed cans.
    Do the new earpods have removable tips?

13. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

15. AaronTrieu macrumors member

for being included with the iphone, they sound fantastic.

many people may not feel the need to buy others unless they lose or break them.

16. BuckDot macrumors member

Have they turned yellow yet?

Did your ears turn yellow too?

----------

Sweet! Those are fantastic... I ultimately stuck with Shure when I replaced my buds a few months ago, but I can appreciate it when people get earphones from a legitimate speaker company. :D

I hate now when you got to Best Buy, etc, the only "premium" headphones/earphones you can choose from are Bose and Dr. Dre :mad:

17. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

best Buy carries Sol Republics, and for the price point, they are pretty damn good

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Remember that everyone has different criteria for what makes a good-sounding headphone. Some want balance, others want exaggerated bass, and still others want depth of soundstage and separation. If you like your headphones, then that's all that matters.

19. sixteen12 macrumors regular

I used both. But lately I've been using the silicone, I don't like when I get the foam ones sweaty.

The earpods don't have tips, they aren't really in ear. They sound more like open design over the ear than IEM.