New edition of 'Huckleberry Finn' to lose the 'n' word

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jan 4, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

It might not change the heart of the story, but I don't think taking out the N word helps much.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's part of the context of the story, and of the characters, and of the times in which they lived. Leave it alone.

Next think you know, these characters will start talking in LOLspeak because, you know, that's how kids these days talk, you know? :rolleyes:

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

More political correctness. More history lost. More lessons lost. Who would have seen that coming?

In my mind it's one of the most important parts of the story as it applies to today's children. Huck is growing up in a time where that word and that treatment of African Americans is ok, and although Jim is supposed to be someone Huck doesn't interact with, he does anyway and becomes great friends with him.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe that reduces the impact of the story as a reflection of where the country was when it was written.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Facepalm. Now we want to edit our classic literature. Well, why stop there. There are a lot of book titles that should be changed. :rolleyes:

G****s of Anger Management Issues
    12 Not Very Happy Men
    Of Mice and Persons
    Moby Richard
    Vertically Challenged Women
    African American Beauty
    The Passing of a Non-Gender Specific Person Who Sells Things for a Living

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

They're going to change it to "slave" which, to me, is just as offensive.

I guess I should've put this topic in the PRSI from the get go.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

People should still be free to wince, when they read/hear the "N" word.

It's one way to measure progress.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good god...I'd love to hear what Mark Twain would have to say about this.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I like one of the comments at the site that says:

If you want to edit the book then go for it but take Mark Twain's name off of it because he didn't write it [if you edit it].

It's crap is what it is but if they are going to do it then put a disclaimer on the cover that lets younger generations know this isn't the real thing; maybe that'll open some eyes.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is he a "Twain expert" when it goes against everything he wrote. Lets just rewrite everything because it doesn't fit todays standards. All of the history books should be adjusted because we don't think like we did in the past.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Lots of stupid things happening today. This is just adding to the pile.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Classics, by definition, are *not* updated.

It does seem a little odd that this nutter is going after a book that is on the top 10 list of books that have been banned in public schools.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

What are they so afraid of? Is there a fear that keeping that word in the book going to bring back slavery? Are stock prices going back up on iron shackles and bull whips suddenly? Are we to the point where 1000 slaves are cheaper to maintain than a single piece of farm equipment again? Were those rich people slave auctions for charity we have been holding at high society parties just some sort of practice run for the day the ban on slavery is repealed?

It just proves to me something I have observed for a long time nothing is ever equal when put into the hands of the victim to determine what is justice, it is just another form of tyranny and the more prohibitive a society becomes the more people find ways around the prohibitions. Doesn't matter who burns, bans, or edits the books or for whatever reason they justify the act--it is all based around some sort of prohibition. Edit the historical record enough and there is nothing left to learn, no individual or group has the right or power to edit history to suit any current agenda without it coming back and biting them on the ass.

Let the word fade on its own, and let it remain in the historical record. It does no justice to future historians to find out that we hide the past. Every society has been guilty of this practice, only to have it discovered long after their falls, or while still in existence.

Everyone likes to think of the Spartans as these awesome superhuman warriors of ancient Greece, but conveniently leave out the practice of pedophilia in their military ranks which by todays standards is of course disturbing, everyone likes to think of the peaceful natives of the western world prior to Spanish conquest who were wiped out by European colonization but dismiss the wasteful hunting practices of the plains tribes when it came to driving entire herds of buffalo off of cliffs in order to kill them, or the ritual human sacrifices performed by South American tribes. Only recently within the past few decades has history shown the evidence that even the big 3 religions are based on far older ancient texts from polytheistic societies long since dead.

Sure you can edit out something now but it will not change the past, and eventually it will resurface when you least expect it to.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If I wanted text that was edited over time, I'd pick up a bible.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even the Bible is supposed to be surprisingly good. Apparently its pretty close to the dead sea scrolls.

17. hulugu, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

[​IMG]

I agree, I'm not sure why Twain's work needs to be 'edited' to be useful for modern tastes.

Lolz.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll play the contrarian here...

This is a book that children read.

I am absolutely fine and prefer that children read the word "slave" instead of the n-word.

For those of you who want the full n-word experience, then you'd be free to read unabridged editions.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If children are going to learn about their past and the way things were they will need to know the language and prejudices of the time. How long do you want to protect them from the truth. No, it wasn't pretty but it happened.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

No worries ... there are tons of Rap movies and music that are not going to stop using it any time soon ... that should keep the little ones well versed :cool:

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

My rebuttal:

[​IMG]

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What about modern interpretations of the Bible? Do they get you as worked up as well?

I wonder if you get all pissed over the fact that Blockbuster sanitizes movies. Are you as concerned about the artistic vision of the writers, directors and actors being compromised?

Do you throw your remote at your TV screen when a film is edited for content and they have a character say "fudge" instead of... well... you know.

Y'all need to take a pill. I think that's what Twain would say.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Again, editions people.

Anybody buy a song on iTunes? You ever notice that some songs come in a regular and an explicit version?

You ever rent a movie and see a regular and uncut version?

This new edition follows that same model, providing a version that may be preferrable to some... for obvious reasons.

It's not blasphemous, it's not a travesty. It's simply an edition.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Rap songs are not learning tools. They are entertainment. Huckleberry Finn has become a standard learning tool with its nasty language and all.

Are we going to start editing Shakespeare because the people talked weird.