New endorsements for McCain/Palin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A top Clinton fundraiser Lynn Forester de Rothschild and Donald Trump have endorsed McCain

Top Clinton fundraiser backs McCain over Obama

Trump endorses McCain on Larry King

And yet, Jack Cafferty says the only reason the polls are close is because of "race".

Cafferty: Obama: Race a factor?

I am not sure the differences are as well defined as Mr. Cafferty suggests, but assuming they are... isn't it just possible that people don't believe in Obama the person or his positions and choose McCain the person or his positions without it being "race"? I didn't read anything about race in the two endorsements above. Why suggest that the only reason a person would vote against Obama is because he is black?

To me... the insunuation is there are only 2 reasons a person votes for McCain (or against Obama) 1) The person is a complete and utter idiot or 2) The person is a racist

I would suggest perhaps a third reason: The person has a different worldview

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't say it's the only reason, but I'd bet good money it's a good enough reason for a shamefully large amount of people.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I doubt either endorsement (Lady Forester de Rothschild or The Donald) will make more than a smidgen of difference. Very few people even know who the former is (although they did make fun of her on TV last night, juxtaposing her social status with the notion that the McCain campaign keeps calling Obama an "elitist"); and Trump is just a blowhard who already looks silly for picking fights with Rosie O'Donnell. As far as endorsements go, Obama picked up one from NOW this week, and I'm sure that's going to be more influential than anything a couple of billionaires have to say.

As far as race goes...I'm sure there's some truth to that, although quantifying the racism factor is a little bit like trying to screw fog.

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Forester seems to be making her choice based on a grudge. She was documented saying her reason was "I just don't like him" referring to Obama earlier this week.

I saw the CNN interview this morning and she comes across as a pretentious bitch, but in an entirely non-sexist way.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I really like these quotes:

6. djellison macrumors 68020

"Threw her support behind Republican John McCain on Wednesday, saying he will lead the country in a centrist fashion and accusing the Democrats of becoming too extreme."

Oh boy oh boy. With a Republican party that's against abortion, for gun ownership, for the teaching of creationism - how can it, under any method of judgement, be considered 'centrist'.

7. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Meanwhile, here's a conservative who's for Obama. Notice the striking difference between his endorsement and that of Trump and de Rothschild: a thoughtful, clearly articulated basis.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, let me get back to the elitism question for a second. Keith Olbermann revealed last night that at the Republican National Convention, the outfit that hockey mom/non-elitist Sarah Palin wore for her big speech included a $25,000 Valentino jacket.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, there are not enough intelligent people left in the US who could even begin to understand that article. There's nothing there they want to hear and there are too many big words. :mad:

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The idea that Obama is much more left wing than Hillary Clinton is ridiculous. It would be difficult to find two senators who are more closely aligned on issues.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Thank God Trump the great has enlightened us. :eek:

And to think I was rooting for Obama, whew, glad he explained how my taxes are going up with Obama ... what ... only if I make over $250k? :eek:

I'm glad that so far celebrities I don't like are endorsing McCain, validates my opinions of them :p

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

These Sen. McCain endorsements have absolutely nothing to do with Sen. Obama's pledge to increase tax on those earning over $250,000 per annum... honest!

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

My favorite real-life quote, is from a colleague at work. Her dad is voting for McCain, and he was complaining on how his sick sister (some chronic illness) has used up all her savings, maxed what she could get from the state, and was kicked out of some home and was struggling to get proper medical care. Her response to her dad? "Hmm... sounds like the type of person universal healthcare would help". *stump*

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's one of those political peculiarities that occurs all around the world, where normally sensible people vote against their interests.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well said. :D

I think laziness also comes into play as well. It seems many, if not most people just will not put any time into researching the candidates. They seem to base their decisions on smear campaigns and sound bytes. And the news seems to have a significant bias since the Bush administration. To the point its op-ed level, and no real, supportable facts. I've seen more accuracy in a few blogs lately. :eek:

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree that the assumption that people vote for McCain because they're racist is ridiculous, but when Lady Ponceington de Symthye, a member of the aristocracy who lives in a ****ing castle says she doesn't like Obama because he's "elitist", she might as well say she doesn't like him because he's black.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's so difficult to find anything to laugh about these days, but I nearly passed an entire cup of tea through my nose when I read this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-trailrothschild18-2008sep18,0,529074.story

18. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

It's amazing how quickly Lady De Rothschild has become a product of the McCain Campaign Gaff Factory.

She called them Rednecks, but Obama is the elitist. Um, OK.

Video on Huffpo

19. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

To build on Sky Blue's point, when there are two candidates as close on the issues as Hillary and Obama, and there are people who are choosing to switch their support to someone as far away on those same issues as it's possible to be as McCain, a logical thinker is hard-pressed to fund a reasonable reason for the switch, and one's mind *has* to go in the direction of a vote based on race.

What would you suggest as a more logical reason for a pro-choice, pro-universal health, pro-big business regulation, pro-gun-control, pro-save our freakin worldwide rep and pro-environmental person to suddenly switch their support to someone who is vehemently against your core political beliefs?

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

And given that she is a super-old, super-rich, high society white lady from one of the oldest white families in Europe... what are the odds that "I just don't like him" is actually just a typical racist response?

Anytime we base our opinions on such visceral responses, we are at risk of being bigoted. In fact it's hard to see how it could be any other way.

She is essentially saying with that comment that she has no logical reason for her action and not really anything concrete to base it on. In other words, something deep inside her that she can't even cogently analyse or express is telling her to reject the notion of Obama being president.

Hmmm... wonder what that could be? :rolleyes:

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The likelihood of a Rothschild (if only by marriage) supporting the slightly less pro big business of two parties in a showdown must be astronomical,turkeys and christmas come to mind. She wants other people to have a life style like hers,please. I'd say in spite of her money and social oomph she now realises it'll be easier to control a McCain administration than a Obama one.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Could it also be that although she's been taught that helping other, less fortunate people is the right thing to do, she simply made her choice based on her tax bracket?

23. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Possibly true, but I was basing my analysis on her only known statement as to why she's doing it. "She just doesn't like him."

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The multi billionaire Donald Trump (who is only still rich because of his disgusting business practices) endorses the man that will continue to ensure large companies have lower taxes and the economy falls? :eek: Shocked I say! Shocked!

:rolleyes: does anyone even give a damn about either of the super wealthy? They live in a different reality, theyll never have to worry about money.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep... Nothing like the elites telling us that they really aren't elites after all, that a guy who just managed to pay off his student loans is the elitist, while someone who lives in a castle is just a normal Joe or Jane 12-pack.

Silly season is here indeed.