New (Excited) Macbook Pro Owner Here: What Should I Do Right Out of The Box?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Aug 13, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

In regards to making sure everything is up and running well, and making sure I start using my Macbook Pro in the best possible terms.

What I mean is, if I remember correctly isn't the first time you use your Macbook, doesn't it need to fully charge and then fully drain on battery to originally calibrate the battery or something?

You know, stuff in that respect..

:apple:I'm so excited.:apple:

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Yep just make sure to calibrate the battery right away, then normally once a month or so after that!

Enjoy your new MBP, I pick mine up tommorow morning!

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So "Calibrating the battery" simply means to fully charge it and fully let it drain? Is that all there is to it? Just that?

What about things aside from the battery when I first get it?

Fed-Ex tracking says mine should be in my hands by 3pm tomorrow too! :D:D:D:D

Congrats!

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I personally recommend downloading and installing a benchmarking app like Xbench. Run it right away and then one a week or month just to keep tabs on your computers performance and make sure it's working as well as it did the day you got it.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Run software update.

Then idk, take funny pictures of yourself with photobooth? :p

6. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Break it, cuz nobody likes you anymore for having a shiny new comp. sry.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Enjoy it. I would first start customizing multitouch gestures and install growl. My favorite things. :) Download the amazing adium too.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So I just downloaded xbench.

Ran it and obviously got this long list of results, but the truth is, have no idea what it all means. I also noticed I can save it in 3 different formats, which seems good when wanting to compare tests every month or so...

...But what do they mean and how can I know if my Mac is doing well or not?

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have growl but stopped using it once it got in the way updating me all the time with this and that, but I keep hearing great things. Why do you enjoy it?

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm a little lost, you just said in a couple of posts ago within the same hour that you were gonna get the Macbook tomorrow by 3:00pm, now you say you installed Xbench and growl? Huh? Do you have it?

At any rate, just USE it and ENJOY it rather than trying to do all the RIGHT things, a Mac is just another computer and you don't have to baby it, pamper it or anything. Just as if you bought a new Windows computer, open it up and use it. :)

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

First thing you do, Open it, be happy. Scratch it, complain on here, start what sleeve to get thread. Then decide its not enough, start incase vs. speck hard shell thread. Then start a thread on what are the best apps to get. Well, i think you get it. But seriously, dont drop it or spill stuff on it and youll be good.

Btw- good guide to apps HERE

12. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

There is a button at the top so you can submit your score and compare it with other people's. Month to month just check how it compares to your previous scores and make sure it's not dropping really quickly. It will drop over time, but it shouldn't be more than a point a month. When it starts to get too low, you know something's up.

13. kasakka macrumors 68000

Calibrate your display for more accurate colors.

If you use an external mouse that is NOT a Microsoft mouse, install USB Overdrive. It makes a world of difference in how the mouse responds. If you've got a Microsoft mouse just install its own drivers and set mouse acceleration implementation to use MS's method.

Also try Path Finder. If you're a student you can get a good discount on it until August 20th. I really love the program, it does all Finder does but in a more useful manner (much better file sorting etc) plus tons more.

14. r0x0r macrumors newbie

Sooooo...

i've just got back from the mac store after an hour and a half drive. All i want to do is turn the thing on?
    How long does it take to charge it fully straight outa the box?

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Open it check for scuff marks and scratches then admire the loose hinge while you boot up to check for dead pixels. Check none of the keys scrap each other then examine the track pad for it may be 0.5mm slightly off line. Once booted check for excessive fan noise and possible substantial heat permeating from the Macbooks base and/or the battery. Finally check that the lid is completely and utterly flush with the base when closed and make sure nothing is bent slightly as this will cause you endless nights of worry. Also consider placing a spirit level on the top of the laptop once the lid is closed to ensure that everything is level and balanced accordingly.

16. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

The first thing you should do is read the manual

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I didn't even know they had one?:p

First is the great unboxing Youtube vid. with a thread and link here with extra pics. Second examine every square nanometer for scratches, nicks or alignment issues. Third stick it on a charger and turn it on. Then get iStat pro widget, free and install it so you hopefully won't start obsessing over your battery, fans & temps.

After you get that out of your system, get data on it and have fun.;)

18. r0x0r macrumors newbie

The manual is pretty tame and doesn't list explicitly what you should actually do. It says somthing like.. to get started 1. plug in the to power adaptor 2. connect to a network etc..

It does not actually say whether you should leave it plugged in before turning it on, for how long etc. can anyone clear this up?

19. reese.reimers macrumors newbie

I always do an erase and install whenever I get a new mac. While there isn't much bloatware on the machine, there are still quite a few applications and files that I will not use. I always opt out of Garageband, iMovie, iDVD, all printer drivers other than what I see necessary and all languages other than English. All of these items can be reinstalled later and save quite a bit of space on the HD.

20. phoobo macrumors regular

Makes absolutely no difference at all.

21. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

You have to understand that the majority of users don't read mac forums.. They simply follow the easy intructions in the manual (if they bother to, most prolly use it like they've had it for months right out the box)

Apple knows this... Its as simple as that... You just use the machine... Forums are only for us scratch watching battery monitoring beachball counting ocd folk...

22. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

23. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I got my first macbook pro 15 in yesterday and it was fully charged when i open it up, it lasted 6 hours with time machine backing up all my files and the brightness all the way up :D, i love you :apple: