new extended display picture is enlarged on new one, how to shrink it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlangdon, Mar 1, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

so i got a second display to replace the old sucky one.
    its nice
    but one thing is wrong.
    things are way bigger on the new screen, compared to mbp screen.
    like if something is 4 in tall on the mbp it will be 7in on the new screen.
    my old didn't do that, so...
    i also noticed that the max display for both is 1440x900 so in the display arrangment it show that it is the same size. which it is clearly not.

help is much appreciated.
    i played with the display size witch both are 1440x900 but my mbp is 15 in and the new one is 19 in. searched on here, and actually read the manual.

also it is really hard to get the screens to line up but i think once the size is fixed they should line up. is there a program where i can put numbers in to move the screen instead of inaccurately moving it with the mouse

please help because i just wasted my entire pay check on this and it is not clearly working how it is supposed to.
    i am totally stumped.

ill post an image once its uploaded.

2. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

[​IMG]

anyone????????
    this sucks.

*Only One touch of ez-zoom, you can fine the best resolution
    you want and it is possible to magnify the size of characters and
    pictures for the old not having good eye sight, housewives not
    dealing with computer well
    and children.

how demeaning is that to women

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Assuming your external monitor is set to its maximum resolution, then it looks the way it looks due to the inherent pixel density differences between the two displays. Basically, the monitor on the left side has bigger pixels.

Until resolution independence goes mainstream then you're stuck with the pixel size differences. (Don't hold your breath waiting, it's a couple of years away.)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You'll need a monitor with the same number of pixels per inch. (essentially what was posted by another member)

You can either just measure the width, or use trig to get the DPI based on the diagonal screen size.

Off the top of my head, I think even 19" 1680 x 1050 will be slightly larger than the 15" 1440 x 900.

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

serious?
    so that thing about the pixel pitch(?) is what i have to look for.
    what pixel pitch is the 15in mbp screen.

fing a
    i am returning this. if it isnt the same size this is not useful at all
    i mean my old monitor is at least 10 years old and it lined up perfectly

thanks though.
    i would never have guessed

6. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Try shutting down your system. Disconnect the DVI cable from your MBP, restart, and then after boot, reconnect the DVI cable. This is the workaround I've been using since the last video update.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The problem is both are native 1440 x 900. One is a 15" diagonal, the other is 19" diagonal. The only thing that could be done to match the physical dimension of an object on the screen, is to reduce the DPI of the 15" (like to 1280 or 1024).

8. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I'm thinking that the OP got the resolution of the 19" from reading his display as it is in his photo, and not from the product specs. If I were to start my 15" MBP with my 22" LG monitor connected it would display the same 1440x900 resolution. By connecting it after start up for some reason, it recognizes the display properly. The way to know would be to see what is displayed on his external LCD in the above posted photo. If it only says color LCD it's not recognizing the monitor properly. It should be displaying the model of the display.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Possibly. But, that resolution isn't uncommon for a 19". I have one sitting across the room [at 1440 x 900 native]. edit: just looked back at the OP pics - the last res in the list is the highest the display is capable of. I can't see how that would be inaccurate on a DVI display (making the assumption it's connected digitally).

It shouldn't matter which way you connect the monitor. It sounds like your MBP is using mirror, initially.

10. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I keep looking at his external in the photo, and I just can't make out how it's seeing the display.

11. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya sorry about the photo but thanks guys. (photo bucket was slow so i cut the image into about the 1/4 of its quality)

ya ive tried connecting it after boot up as how it will not even show a image if it is connected and it boots up which i really annoying.
    ya the native for the 19 is 1440 x 900.
    well im going to the apple store to get this sorted out and will ask about this and how the extended does not show an image when connected on boot up.

ill be posting my results in another thread that i think the site actually really needs.
    a thread completly devoted to these issues.
    the extended desktop thread (dual displays)

ill be posting everyones tips back in my first post as to make it organized and such.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure another thread is really necessary - extended desktops have always worked like this. I'm surprised to see it even described as "a problem" (but, that's just me). The only way around it is to have dual, identical resolution displays (DPI, NOT number of pixels).

13. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya but even the people at the apple store do not know the pixels per inch or pixel pitch.
    i do have a little bit of info that could be helpful.

14. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you would think, but apple ****ed up the display driver with the graphics update, it DOSENT DETECT THE CORRECT RESOLUTION on displays now, i have this same problem on my 22" DVI monitor, it will not detect the display and only sees it as a color LCD at 1440x900 NOT the ls1242 1680x1050 like its suppose to be, and like it is when you plug it in AFTER the system has been booted

the same thing happens if the system is asleep and you plug the monitor into it and wake it, then it dosent enable a monitor at all, it just falls back to sleep

apple needs to get on a fix for this because its getting very annoying

im using OSX not WINDOWS this sucks!

16. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

17. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Squeeks,
    This thread caused me to research the Apple support forum. I found a post where a user said to start the computer with the display attached, closing it immediately, the machine will boot to the external in the proper resolution. Now open the on board display, go into system prefs, displays, and hit detect displays. The on board activates, and the external is at proper res. Now for me, this solved my problem and after shutdown the displays were recognized properly with a regular start up. Another thing that I noticed is that my MBP will now wake with the lid closed as always( pre graphics update) when connected to an external monitor. YMMV

18. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've seen the reports of different issues with external displays on MBP. But, it isn't happening on all combinations. I have a ACD 20", and it's working the same as always. I use it in clamshell mode. No problems detecting resolution or on sleep/wake/restart cycles. (running 10.5.2 + the Graphics Update).

Hopefully, they will find what the issue is on the troublesome setups soon.

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well yeah im sure they tested it on ACD displays they prolly just didnt bother to try it on any other display

besides the ACD connects much differently than a regular monitor

detect displays dosent do anything when this problem happens

20. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It has a standard DVI connector. The only thing different is the cable from the display bundles the USB and Firewire connectors to its built-in hubs. It splits off into the three standard connectors.

My 19" 1440x900 is a 3rd party, guess I could try it (haven't used it on the MBP since Leopard). But, I'm sure it's not just the ACD that works. Not saying you don't (or others) don't have an issue, I'm just saying it's not on all DVIs.

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Just use your ruler and do some math.

Code:
     number of horizontal pixels
    --------------------------------   =  # of horizontal pixels
     number of horizontal inches

For example:

Code:
        1024 pixels
    ---------------------  =  102.4 pixels per horizontal inch
     10 inches wide

So for 2 monitors to display the same image at the same physical size then they need to have the same number of points per inch (ppi). You can get the screens to have approximately the same ppi by changing their resolutions to make the math result in similar PPIs, but using an lcd display at anything other than it's native resolution isn't gonna look that great.

22. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

in my thread do #3

lg 163q im pretty shure i just returned it though

adding to my thread

thanks.
    but wouldnt apple think of this and figure something out as to not limiting people to only buy a certain pixels per inch ??

le thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=445844

23. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No OS has a resolution independent interface yet. Apple is working on it and it should be here in a couple of years, probably before MS Windows gets it.

I've spent a lot of time in Mac forums, a place where people tend to complain about anything and everything, and I don't recall anyone ever really caring too much about this. Most people don't care that things display at different sizes on different monitors. Also, this lack of ppi info isn't limited to apple either, I've very rarely seen a ppi spec located in any monitor manufacturer's spec page.

And if you care about knowing the ppi then you can just do the simple math. If you want to figure out the ppi info from the specs, you just have to convert the published screen size which is the diagonal size into the width size using 1 trig function. Then just like above divide the horizontal resolution by the screen width.

24. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

o so this is what i calculated

my display is (MBP) 1440 x 900 15.4 in
    .2303 Dot Pitch (DP)
    110 Pixels per inch (PPI)

my old display is 1280 x 1024 16 in
    .2479 DP
    102.45 PPI

my new one is 1440 x 900 19 in
    .28 DP
    89 PPI

in other words im returned it, and im glad i did. it was poop.
    going to try and apply to work at best buy (if you work there you pay what the store payed and 10% of that, so monitors are a lot cheaper) and the apple store for the 5th time so i can get a better display with a discount.

25. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

thanks for all the info. finally someone with something.
    i forgot to search for that thing you said earlier but ill read up on it.

you would think that with an extended you would want things to be the same size right? (maybe i am just to anal )

o and dell and newegg (or this other site) does say the dot pitch and pixel per inch so im prog going to get a dell monitor