New First gen iPhone... Can't seem to use my 3G SIM card in it...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Apr 15, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just got a brand new first gen 8GB iPhone and my iPhone 3G sim will not work in it. I've used QuickPwn on 2.2.1, but when I plug my sim card in from my iPhone 3G, it goes to the "Slide for Emergency" screen... What am I doing wrong?

On my old original 4GB iPhone, I could swap my AT&T sim back and forth between the 2 iPhones as long as my original iPhone was "Hacktivated". What's going on here?

The baseband is 04.05.04_G if that is any help.

Thank you!

2. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Because 3G phones have a different kind of sim card called a USIM, they don't work in 2G handsets

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Umm. Then why was I used to be able to do it?

4. ZunePod macrumors regular

No they don't. All iPhones use SIM Cards, no fancy stuff.

You might need to PwnageTool it.

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I did find that QuickPwn unlock failed unless I restored my 2G phone to its OTB condition before running it. Quickpwn did not succeed in overwriting the previous activation records.

6. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I haven't heard this one before.....but why don't you just go back to at&t and ask for a regular sim card that works all across the different phones?

Since it sounds that you are already with at&t because you have that 3g sim card for the iphone 3g..........thus you could avoid 3g iphone charges that at&t is cracking down on

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You don't understand what I'm trying to do. The SIM card in my iPhone 3G is just a regular SIM card. I was just saying that it's *for* my 3G iPhone. AT&T SIM cards are the same for any phone. Anyways... I could call AT&T and change my plan to work with the first gen iPhone and activate it, but I want it more as a backup and not my main phone. So I want to be able to slip the SIM card from my iPhone 3G into it whenever I want.

I figured it out though you guys... I used PwnageTool and I unlocked it. Unlocking it seemed to do the trick (even though I'm still using AT&T, go figure).