Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Slartibartfast wrote in with this link.

Businessweek has their take on the new flat-paneled iMac... though they seem to have some more real sources...

What gives the iMac its slick appearance is a 15-inch screen with a resolution of 1024 x 768, say those who have seen the prototype. They say the redesign now resembles Apple's Studio Display flat screen -- but with a pudgy rear end, which holds the computing components. And thanks to a DVD drive and ports for peripherals, it's also a tad thicker than the Studio Display around the middle.

[Edited by Macrumors on 01-03-2002 at 05:48 PM]

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hmmmmmmm.................

That's about what I expected, and I'm sure SJ will open with it. It's the "Just one more thing " I'm curious about.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Sahara 1ghz Sweet

Thats pretty cool a 1 ghz bottom line product now if the new powermac is a g4 instead of a g5 i wont care

ScottF

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2001
No No, See you are all WRONG !

Apple Have no new products it is a just on the iPod.. Oh and there new digital fish screen saver.... No.. Really the entry level iMac will still be a CRT, i know that to be fact, I cant tell you why i know that.. but it is true.

Re: Sahara 1ghz Sweet

Originally posted by spuncan
Thats pretty cool a 1 ghz bottom line product now if the new powermac is a g4 instead of a g5 i wont care

The G3's (IBM makes them) have had speeds well over 1 ghz, but Apple's been hesistant to introduce them since they have a higher clock speed than Motorola's G4, Apple's choice for their top of the line boxes. In apps that don't take advantage of Alvitec, the higher clock rate G3s would actually be faster. Apple wouldn't release a gigahertz G3 before a gigahertz G4 for marketing reasons, so you'll probably get your wish!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Re: Sahara 1ghz Sweet

The maximum speed of the G3 is 1Ghz (no other chip faster has been announced yet). We should see a 1Ghz G3 + 1/1.2Ghz G4 as well I believe.

reyesg4

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Which model will you buy?

Will you get the cheap low end iMac with the CRT screen, 32 meg Video card, and DVD drive for $1,199 or will you want to get the iMac with the LCD screen, 64meg Video card, bigger bus size and combo drive and airport card built in for $1,699? Forget about mhz if it does not have a G4 in it or is not above 1Ghz. Its the features that will make it shine. Unfortunatly, the only one worth owning will still be too expensive. But, it should not come as a surprise because they did the same thing with the iBook. Most loved the combo drive model at $1,799. I think the Rev 2 iMac LCD will be worth all the money you spend for it though.

macboy

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
If the feet are in a C then it might only need two.... you can't tell in the picture how thick it it and how big the feet are... they could be in a C or D for it to stand...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree...

...with this article completely. I also think it pretty much proves that the new bottom-of-the-line powermacs are going to be 1Ghz+. Otherwise, the iMac would be faster than some of the powermacs.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: I agree...

Is it just me? As much as I would like an LCD display I think I would prefer to have a faster computer with a 17" CRT instead.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
You are right Falleron, but Apple has to play to the masses here. If you are CRT, you are old school in the public's opinion. When you start seeing flat panel monitors at Wal-Mart, you know its already old news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.