New g4 1 gig dual performace

binny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2002
hi there,

does anyone have a New g4 1 gig dual powerpc,
have heard they are slow....is this true?

also heard they have noisy fans, please let me know, I am in a hurry!!!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If you have heard one of the new G4 Dual GHz PowerMacs at a nearby quiet Apple Store, they really aren't that loud. I mean, you can hear them and the fans inside, but it's not really a "windtunnel". :rolleyes:

Also, one of the more recent MacWorld magazines (as controversial as some say on the forums) compared the new dual PowerMacs, all models, as well as some old model dual PowerMacs, and I think the new dual GHz performed tasks better than the old 1GHz dual with every, if not, almost every, test executed, from Photoshop, to other high level aplications.

Personally, I don't have either model, but from reading posts and reports here, and in magazines, and just from personal observations, I think the new PowerMac models should work better for whatever your needs are.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
i have one...it is noisy.

but slow? no chance. this thing is really fast. i was stunned.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I have one and it is blazingly fast. Where the real performance shines through is when you are running several processor intesive programs at once. I have yet to slow this thing down without running a rediculous number of heavy programs.

I don't find it excessively noisy the fans rarely kick in to high speed. Most of the time it idles away. It is quieter then most PCs that you will see at your local computer store.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
While I won't say this is the loudest machine I have ever owned, my new 1.25 (which should be fine to compare by) is certainly the most irritating to listen to. It might be just my machine, as friends who work at an Apple Store are surprised by this; my machine makes a high pitched sound a lot of the time. It's never really audible when I am playing music or a game, so I almost never hear it. However, the frequency of the sound is quite annoying.

Then again, I have a desk that encloses the machine to keep it out of the way. The enclosure may amplify the sound and make it more apparent.

BTW - I wouldn't give up the performance for any amount of sound!

Hope this helps,
Dan

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by alset
While I won't say this is the loudest machine I have ever owned, my new 1.25 (which should be fine to compare by) is certainly the most irritating to listen to. It might be just my machine, as friends who work at an Apple Store are surprised by this; my machine makes a high pitched sound a lot of the time. It's never really audible when I am playing music or a game, so I almost never hear it. However, the frequency of the sound is quite annoying.

Then again, I have a desk that encloses the machine to keep it out of the way. The enclosure may amplify the sound and make it more apparent.

BTW - I wouldn't give up the performance for any amount of sound!

Hope this helps,
Dan

Mine makes a kind of low whirring sound hardly an annoying sound.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by MacBandit

Mine makes a kind of low whirring sound hardly an annoying sound.
The sound I hear is almost like a hard drive spinning at an incredible speed. I was sort of concerned about it at first, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

BTW - When I opened the machine to examine it the sound did seem to be localized in the area of the heat sync.

Dan

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by alset

BTW - When I opened the machine to examine it the sound did seem to be localized in the area of the heat sync.

Dan
As in, you opened the case with it powered up? Sounds a brave thing to be doing...