Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Has Apple lost all sense of design? They ruined their perfectly clean-looking Web site by cluttering it with leopard spots and brushed metal. As for this photo of the alleged new G4 case—I pray it's a hoax. I would never put that ugly thing in my house, much less want it on my desk at work. Is that a safety deposit box built into the front of it? Powerful or not, half of being a Mac user is about style.

I think Steve Jobs has finally gone insane. That he would try to charge us for the party favors known as iTools is proof enough. As if we don't have enough expenses from our ISPs and Web hosting companies.

:mad:

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
You really didn't have to make a whole thread for this. You could have posted in the PM case thread or the MWNY whining thread. :rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by hitman
Feck what it looks like, I only care whats inside. :rolleyes: :D

Which is the main reason I DON'T want vertically mounted hard drives. I severely hope that the stuff that has been getting put up is all from a failed prototype that has NOT gone into production.

I for one, wouldn't purchase that thing... it's that simple. I just hope that if it does come out, that Apple wakes up and changes it within a year to something more visually pleasing (and smarter).

Just my $20 worth. :p :D

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Which is the main reason I DON'T want vertically mounted hard drives. I severely hope that the stuff that has been getting put up is all from a failed prototype that has NOT gone into production.

I for one, wouldn't purchase that thing... it's that simple. I just hope that if it does come out, that Apple wakes up and changes it within a year to something more visually pleasing (and smarter).

Just my $20 worth. :p :D

Why does it matter if there are 2 vertically mounted drives? There are to horizontal drives according to that report and the other two would be vertical for space reasons so you would put your primary drives in the horizontal bays and only put lesser used drives in the vertical slots.

Me, I am one of the "normal" people who has no use for more than 2 drives anyway. :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Why does it matter if there are 2 vertically mounted drives? There are to horizontal drives according to that report and the other two would be vertical for space reasons so you would put your primary drives in the horizontal bays and only put lesser used drives in the vertical slots.

Me, I am one of the "normal" people who has no use for more than 2 drives anyway. :)

I never claimed to be normal. :eek: :p

I don't like the idea of the drives being held in by a single screw and/or some plastic thingy. I am one of the people that tends to increase my hard drive count as time progresses. I had four drives in my last G4 before selling it (two ATA and two SCSI).

Also, who's to say that Apple won't set the hard drive ATA ribbon to go to the vertical drives first?? While there are some drives mounted on their side, they are not mounted so that the ribbon is pointing either up or down. They are on their side (90° twist from 100% horizontal, with the connections at the back). There are reasons for the drives being mounted this way... Until Apple releases the RAID array to go along with the Xserve, all other server RAID racks have the drives as I note above. Even then, those drives are SCSI, which doesn't have any issues with being mounted on one of it's sides.

From the drawings that were posted, everything inside the case is way too crammed in there. Without a healthy air flow inside the case, it will get too hot, too fast, and damage the components.

Again, I seriously hope that the images and such that are being placed online are just one design that didn't make the cut. IF that is what is coming, then I won't be purchasing it. Too many changes, and not for the better (in my not so humble opinion :p).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, the case isn't the best thing I've seen from Apple, but if it comes time for me to get a new machine, I'll buy what ever they have - provided it doesn't have problems with heat.

I'm with you there Alpha - that's one hot configuration, but maybe there's something going on that we don't know about for the cooling. I think its more of a wait and see - and I personally hope and think that this case is a defunct prototype.

D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Aye duke, we want a computer, not a new 'easy bake' oven or a space heater. :eek: :p :D

To date, Apple has done everything possible to keep the hard drives horizontal, laying flat. Why make a radical shift from that now?? Especially in a case that places the optical drives in the middle of the front?? That alone won't fly.

Think about it, how many people place their towers under the desk?? Now those people will have to stretch even more to put a disc into the drive. There are also people that place items in front of their computer. At present, the optical drive tray clears such devices, but if you lower them, they will bang into those items.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by backspinner

first everybody is complaining about the power macs being too slow, now you are complaining that it will be too fast? I don't get it :p

I'm talking about thermal heat ya twit, NOT speed... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ah, twit, definitely a word of the month.

I was just thinking about the vertical drives and heat - by placing that way airflow goes up and around and the one drive doesn't cover another, so it might in some way aid in reducing the large amounts of heat the thing will generate. They are close to the vents in the front.

I'd love to interview the engineers who designed the damn thing - and I hate going through all the speculation, knowing the answers may never be known.

D

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
It's fugly, it's late, and it's not going to sell. People are waiting for apple to pull it's head out of it's ash and put out a ground breaking professional machine. This ain't it.
G5's better come soon with some innovative technology and significant speed increases.
Apple has just pulled a Gates type move with the unfriendly to user policies at MWNY, and professional users are mad with good reason.
This current trend from apple is disturbing to say the least and this machine produced as filler until something significant comes is as the rest of apples blunders at MWNY, major disappointment!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by zoozx
It's fugly, it's late, and it's not going to sell. People are waiting for apple to pull it's head out of it's ash and put out a ground breaking professional machine. This ain't it. G5's better come soon with some innovative technology and significant speed increases. Apple has just pulled a Gates type move with the unfriendly to user policies at MWNY, and professional users are mad with good reason.

lighten up a bit - all of its still speculation until we actually see it on stage with steve, ok? :rolleyes:

there's a whole thread for whining, you might want to go post over there

oh, and welcome to MacRumors zoozx :D

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
whoohoo, no more whinning!

Don't care about the box, but I think its a crappy picture anyway, as it looks white but is supposedly silver. Is it possiblr that apple might be moving to some type of different drive for the vertical ones? On board SCSI (hey, my Mac Plus had it):D

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I'm surprized that ...

Originally posted by drastik
Is it possible that apple might be moving to some type of different drive for the vertical ones?

I'm surprized that few have really commented about that monster heat sink. Sure, it might be what the G5 needs, but might it not also be somewhere around what a P4 would need??
:D

-hh

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by drastik
whoohoo, no more whinning!

Don't care about the box, but I think its a crappy picture anyway, as it looks white but is supposedly silver. Is it possiblr that apple might be moving to some type of different drive for the vertical ones? On board SCSI (hey, my Mac Plus had it):D

Do you want to pay the extra money to have onboard SCSI??? Besides, there are not SCSI ports on the motherboards any longer (all ATA/IDE now), so that would entail a SCSI card, chewing up one of the PCI slots. Never mind the fact that ATA drives are larger (GB) then SCSI for the same price range. You can get a 160GB ATA drive for under $300... how large of a SCSI drive can you get for that?? Something at least close to the speed of ATA133 too. :p

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
hoax

This "leaked" case is a hoax...and a ploy. Apple wouldn't build something like that after what they did with the imac. It's probably one of those 6 prototypes that were rumored to be floating around.

cablejump

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2002
Re: New G4 Box — ?

Originally posted by 8320
I think Steve Jobs has finally gone insane. That he would try to charge us for the party favors known as iTools is proof enough. As if we don't have enough expenses from our ISPs and Web hosting companies.
:mad:

You B*STARD!! How dare you insult his Steveness!

iTools is useless anyway (for me at least)

my cableservice costs only $30 a month and generally speaking- web hosting is no huge dent in anyones pocket who uses a mac

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by zoozx
G5's better come soon with some innovative technology and significant speed increases.

The "G5" is already out for the embedded market. Apple's next chip probably won't carry the "G5" label since Moto already uses it for other purposes.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Chitman
The "G5" is already out for the embedded market. Apple's next chip probably won't carry the "G5" label since Moto already uses it for other purposes.

Any speculation on what they will call it then?? Maybe the GX (GeX the Generation eX processor ;))

Well Chitman??? :eek: :D

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by AlphaTech
GeX the Generation eX processor ;)

Don't you mean Generation X processor? :D :D

I don't care what they call it. They could call it "Fetid Pile of Steaming Skit" and I'd still buy it (providing it was fast enough. :D :D)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Chitman
Don't you mean Generation X processor? :D :D

I don't care what they call it. They could call it "Fetid Pile of Steaming Skit" and I'd still buy it (providing it was fast enough. :D :D)

GX, GeX either works... as for FPoSS, isn't that what intel makes??? :eek: :eek: :p :D :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.