soakwashrinse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Might be a few new 12-inch PowerBook owners kicking themselves in a few hours. :)

Seriously, if these had been around a month ago when I bought my 15-inch 1.25GHz PowerBook, I might have bought a G5 desktop and complimentary 12-inch iBook instead... or maybe even just an iBook to tide me over until the next (G5 or whatever) major PowerBook revisions.

Oh well, still very happy with what I have.

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by soakwashrinse
Might be a few new 12-inch PowerBook owners kicking themselves in a few hours. :)

Seriously, if these had been around a month ago when I bought my 15-inch 1.25GHz PowerBook, I might have bought a G5 desktop and complimentary 12-inch iBook instead... or maybe even just an iBook to tide me over until the next (G5 or whatever) major PowerBook revisions.

Seems that the Rev A 12" PowerBook was the iBook G4 everybody was waiting for... :p

Along with AppleWorks, the Rev A 7445 processor, some games, and the plastic case -- to make it a consumer iBook instead of the PowerBook.

Basically what people were saying for quite awhile. :D

---

Seems the eMac is now the only OS 9 boot machine (or it should be, though not advertised as one any more) -- along with the retro Powermac (but that's not a product line it's probably real close to being a true legacy machine like the 9600 was for awhile).

Comment

Marc the Mac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me which is better?

The ibook G4's ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

Or the 12" Powebook's NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

Comment

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc

exactly what i was thinking sir.

an iBook for about 1200 bucks (with blootoofs and airport extreme) is quite a tasty idea for someone who's got a jacked tower and a wife who wants to surf and email when i'm trying to work...

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably will come down to whether you want the Plastic case, consumer SW package (AppleWorks, games, etc), and the 7445 Processor.

Or the Aluminum case, Business SW (Office demo, business widgets, etc), and the 7447 processor.

The PowerBook will probably be around 25-40% faster than the iBook at the same MHz rating, depending on the app.

Comment

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Originally posted by edesignuk
WOW, I can't quite believe it, it's great, but don't you think this will eat in to PowerBook sales?

I don't think so... I noticed they took care to keep the 12" model to a low-end 800 MHz processor this time, meaning that the crowd interested in an ultraportable is pretty strongly steered towards the PB12.

If I didn't have a PB12 already, the new 12" would be just about perfect for my needs, I think... other than its inability to handle monitor spanning... and potentially its limitation to 1024x768 on an external monitor. Anyone know for sure on these two details? (Not buying, just curious.)

Comment

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002

You should be. There is only one 12" model running at 800 MHz.

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Originally posted by edesignuk
WOW, I can't quite believe it, it's great, but don't you think this will eat in to PowerBook sales?

I would say that this is a portent to the G5 being placed into the PowerBook in the next 6 months. "Get the new G5 PowerBook, asbestos shields & bags of ice not included."

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
aah... and tell me again why I just bought a 12" PB?? :mad:

if I'm not mistaken, that Radeon 9200 will kick the ever-living **** out of the FX 5200go... :mad:

edit: actually, as I look at it more and more, this is very nice. There are still quite a few differences between the ibook and the 12" PB. And best of alll, now people will have to stop ***ching that about the 14" ibook. :) (composes self, gets over it, and is happy once again that Apple is making things better)

Comment

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Personally I dont like the plastic cases of the iBook. Now if they still had the partially metal cases then I might be kicking myself ... just a little bit though. I LOVE my Rev. B 12" Powerbook, absolutly love. Ive even decided to break the rules of ettiqute and sell my PC laptop that I receieved last May for my college graduation. Mom and Dad didnt like the idea but I explained it to them and I think they understood. Ive considered keeping it too, but I rather someone who can't really afford a new laptop to have my slightly used one. Im generally like that, when I upgrade something Ill either give my old one to a needy family or sell it dirt cheap. OK now Im rambling, sorry. Congrats, to those who were waiting for the new iBooks .... enjoy.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ok, another thing. If you go to the edu store, you'll see a low end model configured for edu only... save 50 bucks, go from combo to CD, and lose 128 RAM... that's not much of a deal, IMHO.

Comment

heljy

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2002
Madison, WI
other than its inability to handle monitor spanning... and potentially its limitation to 1024x768 on an external monitor. Anyone know for sure on these two details?

I just checked ou apple's site and it says the iBook only supports mirroring :( The only reason that I sold off my iBook 600Mhz is that it does not support higher resolution on an external monitor. I wonder if there is any heck to get around that...

Comment

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Sadly, these are using the old slow style portable G4 with only 256 kb L2 cache and no L3. Given that huge compromise, it's sad that they bumped up the price $100 on the low end, although now it has a combo drive. Also, the top 12" iBook is only 800 MHz when it has been a 900 MHz G3 with 512kb cache for over 6 months. For most non-altivec tasks, it will be slower than the model it replaces, although $200 cheaper. There's no excuse for not offering a 12" model with a faster processor. The 14" still has the same poor 1024x768 resolution and you have to buy this overweight much less portable machine if you want the fastest iBook. Booooo Apple. Big mistake! Since these iBooks will likely be around for another 6 months, it is just embarassing that Apple will have an $1100 800 MHz machine in its lineup, with a crippled G4 in 2003. PCs at that speed were that price in 2000, and an old 800MHz P3 probably trounces the celeron like verison of the G4 that Apple is using in the iBook. I am beginning to think this "upgrade" makes the OS9 booting 900 MHz G3 model more attractive.

Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I gasped when I saw the new specs - mighty close to my new PB12" - but then I found that the 12" iBook G4 only goes up to 800 MHz, and on the old processor, so the PB will still be better. I wouldn't want a 14" screen so I think Apple has done well to make this distinction.

And if you want to use iDVD you still need a PowerBook :D . Way to go Apple!

And we're back to just two generations of processors. So much for the Gobi and Mohave processors then (unless these are them rebranded! Oh no, the L2 cache is a giveaway).

Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The 12" PB is the reason that the iBook G4 12" only goes up to 800 MHz. There needs to be a good dirfference in speed and features to justify shelling more for the PB, particulalry now they both have slot-loading drives. The 14" can afford that extra power because it is not as portable as the 12" iBook/PowerBook, and is still nowhere near the PB 15" in features.

I'm still sure as hell happy I got the PB 12" rev B 'cos I have the 80GB DVD-R version (something you can't do on the iBook). But these new "iBook G4s" are really neat.

What I like is the attractive price of these. So you could always get an iBook for £799 before but only with a CD-ROM? Now for £849 you can get a laptop that is much better than equivalent £800 PC laptops. Apple was sorely lacking a cheap laptop that fit this category - the £1050 of the iBook 12" combo was too much. And the new 14" for £999! Absolutely amazing! Apple surely has finally sorted out a portable for everyone.

Expect Apple notebook sales to fly now, even here in the UK! YEAR OF THE NOTEBOOK! Now we just need some advertising...

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
For iBooks with Raedon cards, there is a firmware hack. It works well, I hacked my iBook - pure bliss - dual monitors.

I wonder if Apple disabled the hack in these iBook G4s?

Originally posted by heljy
I just checked ou apple's site and it says the iBook only supports mirroring :( The only reason that I sold off my iBook 600Mhz is that it does not support higher resolution on an external monitor. I wonder if there is any heck to get around that...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.