New G4's?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacEdition's reports on possible upgraded G4's on Jan 20th-ish:

According to the Blade’s Kleenex-wielding couchload of family therapists, that’s the date when Apple will bring the high end of the Mac clan back into the tent with new systems based on the super-gigahertz Apollo generation of Motorola’s PowerPC G4.

With claims up to 1.4ghz by Feb.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Towers

I really hope that they dont just update the chip. I want to see faster bus etc. I am in the market for a new computer NOW and want a decent upgrade.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
G4 on a sunday???

Why not the 21st, two weeks after the iMac. Why would Apple introduce something on a sunday???????

Well. anywayz I'll be the first to place an order! :)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think its a rough date. However, I am a bit sceptical because I think they will wait unitl some sort of event to release the new towers. However, if they are loosing too much money because of the new imac then just maybe we see them in about a week.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Sounds good

A 1.4 GHz G4 might just be enough to win over a few new customers. However, if they could push it a little higher, they could bring in customers far faster. Then, plop in AMD's equation for a performance rating, and Apple could have a G4 2000 running at 1.6GHz. Oh well, 1.4GHz is a start.

But, who really believes this? I'd say that 1.2GHz is all we might see. But, we'll all just have to wait.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Anyone else think that they won't be G4's but G5's? I don't think that super-gigahertz G4s without a monitor would be that great of a deal over the new iMacs. I am betting on G5's.

-Pete

iloveMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
I knew something was coming up soon. Hint, Apple rebate offer on there LCD displays end January 20, 2002.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by ptrauber
Anyone else think that they won't be G4's but G5's? I don't think that super-gigahertz G4s without a monitor would be that great of a deal over the new iMacs. I am betting on G5's.

-Pete
1.4 GHz Apollo G4 with L3 cache, 512 MB DDR RAM, 400 MHz bus speed, 4 or maybe 5 PCI slots, AGP, up to 120 GB HD (7200 RPM all the way), SuperDrive on all models.

Hum... sounds interesting enough for me!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
It wont be the G5!! Apple would need a large event for that launch (maybe July time). This new tower will have a speed bump, faster bus, larger hard drive, more ram etc. I think it will debut the Geforce 4 as a build to order option as well, with Geforce 3 standard. I dont think we shall see USB2, firewire 2 until the G5 comes out.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
No G5

I agree with Falleron. It's too early for the G5, and Apple will not introduce a whole new chip at a «special event». Though I do belive we will see G5 this summer...

But what if nothing happens within a week???
Aaaaaraaaraaarrraaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Build times

The build time in the US is 10 days for a 867Mhz Tower!! This looks good.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
a faster bus is what would make me more excited than a 1.2, 1.4 Ghz chip. whats the use if your board can't keep up? i too am waiting for a nice g4 bump. just don't know if i should wait for a g5 or not...

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
oooooooook, that article makes absolutely no sense. i probably would have gotten it if they had cut the ****.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Tommy!
oooooooook, that article makes absolutely no sense. i probably would have gotten it if they had cut the ****.
yeah - the writing style of that column is crap. They are trying to emulate the style of MactheKnife (Macweek's old column) - but that was pretty annoying as well.

arn

U

Unregistered

g4 apollo

I don't think anything will happen until the deal with the flat panels is over.
PLEASE WE NEED GIG power now. With the price of the new imac I don't think anyone iwth buy power macs until they are faster bigger and better

U

Unregistered

stupid macworld

They are delaying the release of new G4's just to piss me off... the minute I finally get a used DP 533 they'll release them at a lower price.
(Dual AMD's are looking real good at the moment)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Doesn't exist

Originally posted by Falleron
It wont be the G5!! Apple would need a large event for that launch (maybe July time). This new tower will have a speed bump, faster bus, larger hard drive, more ram etc. I think it will debut the Geforce 4 as a build to order option as well, with Geforce 3 standard. I dont think we shall see USB2, firewire 2 until the G5 comes out.
There is no GeForce 4. There is, however, a GeForce 3 Titanium which competes with ATI's Radeon 8500 (unsuccesfully in my opinion). The GF3 Ti doesn't currently support Macs.

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
A speed bumped G4 in January seems unlikely... somehow I think February would be likelier. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a speed bump before April. April is the internal deadline for the new tower design. It's supposed to enclose the G5. We prolly won't see a G5 until MWNY. Hence, a speed bump of the G4's seems inevitable.

A Jan - March speedbump fits with Apple's previous speed bumps.

Hell, who kows. Just as long as Apple keeps pissing off the Windows world, I don't really give a crap.

Why do I wait

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
New G4's?????

I really can't see why Apple would introduce a faster G4 or G5 over the next few weeks. Wouldn't they have introduced a new line (or a faster chip) at MacWorld and then announced availability dates (Jan 20 etc..) as they did for the lower end iMacs?? :confused:

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Doesn't exist

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

There is no GeForce 4. There is, however, a GeForce 3 Titanium which competes with ATI's Radeon 8500 (unsuccesfully in my opinion). The GF3 Ti doesn't currently support Macs.
There WILL be a GeForce 4 on Feb 5th. So, yea, the towers could have the GeForce as a BTO option like the guy said :rolleyes:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
dont believe the hype

If I had a big web site and needed a few more hits. I might start a rumor that the upgrades we're coming too. This guy has no idea when anything is going to happen.