New Gallup Poll Showing Opinions on Evolution, ID.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Dec 18, 2010.

1. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

There are lots of other surveys there, too; if you want to check them out.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It is encouraging that almost twice as many people in the last 30 years are drawn to a scientific view rather than a belief view of evolution.

What's discouraging is how unchanged the belief view is.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Having been raised in a fundamentalist Christian family and surviving, I still find it difficult that so many people still believe in what basically amounts to Santa Claus for adults. I quite simply do not understand why anyone would fall for this stuff, especially in the times we live in.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's nothing wrong with belief, they're just holding it wrong.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What, only 1 in 6 don't believe in fairy tales? :eek:

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They are holding their mouth all wrong too. They should be holding their tongue.

The same ones as believe in the Republican party, except that they vote in droves.

8. appleguy123, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you look at it, it's doubled in 10 years.
    I bet that it's because of people like Richard Dawkins and new atheists populizing science over superstition.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My question is are you only counting the bottom line?

Personally I view the bottom 2 lines (evaluation and God guided it) as the best way to look at it.

People are not going to give up their beliefs complete but instead look at what needs to be changed to modify it to work with everything.

It is not much different that science in that respect. When we find something that disproves a theory or a long held belief we go about modify the original one to have it fit with in the new bound. Now normally we do not complete disprove something even in science but require modifying the theory to fit with the limits.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Coincidentally, Newsweek had one of their photo essays online a week or two ago, running along similar lines:

There is, unfortunately, more. The essay is entitled "America the Ignorant". Or is that too elitist for some of you? ;)

I wonder if Gallup or Newsweek tried to establish any correlation between these people and right wing media watchers/listeners?

Too bad there isn't a case we can give them that'll correct that problem.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would not compare it to science at all. It's just an educated person's last hope to hold on to faith.
    Science would never continue a theory with absolutely no proof. Especially with something as important as a super intelligent omnipotent being.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well you have made it clear you do not believe time and time again. I just find it sad that you consider everyone but that 16% blind to science.

God can neither be proven or disproven.

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that a god that actively intervenes in nature would be disprovable. A deist god is probably a very logical proposition, but I think that a personal intervening one is disprovable and will be empirically disproved at some point.

14. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

*cough cough*Galileo*cough cough*

fail and AIDS

15. coolmacguy macrumors regular

The scientific method of investigation was in it's infancy in Galileo's day. I believe the statement was referencing the modern era.

16. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Here's a cool thought. What makes you think God is even susceptible to logic? Note that the use logic is only possible after processing the world through our 5 senses. If you were born with all of your 5 senses busted, you would be unable to make any logical inferences about the world. Something simple as a chair would be non-existent to you because you'd have no way of detecting it.

Or even cut out one sense. A guy that's born blind is totally unable to process the existence of the color green, much less come to logical conclusions like green = yellow + blue. To him, green doesn't exist.

Knowing that, what if there are other senses out there that humans, by virtue of our genetic makeup, don't have. Is it arrogant of us to assume that we can detect absolutely everything there is to know about the world through our 5 senses?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

With the aid of a few tools to enhance those senses, and with the help of inference when we know there must be something there but cannot detect it, we should be able to arrive at a passable solution to most questions, in the end. The real trick is asking the right questions.

18. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

What do you mean by tools?

And how would you infer something without evidence?

And if the entire human race had no eyeballs, how would asking questions determine the existence of the color green??

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Instruments, electron microscopes, LHCs, satellites, that kind of thing.

Often one has to infer a linkage between two states or two conditions, and await further confirmation.

We can't see x-rays, but we can detect them.

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

except Aristotle quite clearly demonstrated the parallax problem which was only solved in 1838. Copernicus didn't publish until his deathbed because he was afraid of being laughed at because he didn't have enough data.

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I find this even more disturbing, people being ignorant is one thing.

Educated people who are willing to bend the realities of their world in order to fit into a fairy story is frightening to me.

It suggests that reason and logic are optional, principles to be discarded if they do not present the desired answers.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It is far more arrogant to believe that you know the "truth" of the universe which is what the religious believe.

The a-religious simply choose not to consider the question because there is nothing to encourage its asking.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I believe humans were put on this Planet a lot longer than 10,000 years ago

I do not believe we evolved nor do I believe it was a God who put us here.

We were put on this Planet by other Humans. ... As with the other theories ... nothing to back it up ... just my thought. :cool:

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You've got at least ten senses. In addition to the classical Aristotle Five* you've got vestibular, thermoceptive, proprioceptive, nociceptive and magnetoceptive.