New Hampshire considers revoking Gay Marriage Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by swiftaw, Feb 27, 2012.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/u...shire-may-be-revoked.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

The whole thing just annoys me. Firstly, can we decide if marriage is a right or a privilege (not gay marriage, marriage in general). If it's the former, then everyone should be able to get married, end of story. If it's the latter, then if a state wants to remove the ability to marry then they have to remove it for everyone.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. Either way all people should have access to it equally. It doesn't matter whether it's considered a privilege or a right. Driving a car is a "privilege" but in the U.S., no one would suggest that only men could do it...or thin people...or heterosexuals. Marriage shouldn't be any different.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Who cares? Wouldn't those people's time be better served working or solving actual problems?

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Like civil rights?

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

You mean last-resort birth control?

I'm sure the OP will appreciate your unnecessary thread jack.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And just for the record, this was talking about the protestors against gay marriage.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thread jack? You're the one who jacked it by bringing up what I presume to be abortion.

The denial of civil rights to a large minority is what I'd consider an actual problem.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Below: a computer simulation of the New Hampshire legislative process.

[​IMG]

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It has nothing to do with this thread and I didn't bring it up. I was simply stating that those protesting gay marriage should find something better to do and LB decided to comment as if I said something wrong about civil rights, presumably about a preexisting discussion that people admire me for.

But I understand.

[​IMG]