New Hampshire Lawmakers tear apart Bill sponsored by 4th graders.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Mar 20, 2015.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So a 4th grade teacher as a part of the lesson plan about the political process had his students write a bill to make red tail hawk the state raptor. The bill passed committee and the students were present to see it be debated on the general floor.

Whether this bill should have been passed or not, these "fine" politicians decided to show these kids how vile the political process really is. One stated that the hawk should be the mascot of Planned Parenthood and another said bills like this should never be considered because next they will be naming a state hot dog next.

Real Classy...... Couldn't even act nice in front of these kids when rejecting the bill...... Send it back to committee or whatever and say to the kids, "We need to debate about this a bit more". I am sure there would have been better ways to kill the bill, but still teach the kids about the process. :rolleyes:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ures_kill_fourth_graders_bill_and_dreams.html

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

By not hiding their nature, these politicians may have taught these kids a valuable lesson. :)

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This falls in the category of "Are you smarter than a 4th grader?" This should inspire the kids to run for office, since, clearly the majority of the kids are smarter than Warren Groen and John Burt.

If they actually thought the bill was waste of time, they could have kept it in committee, and just told the teacher that, sorry, they just didn't have time. Nothing required these bullies to stand up and insult everyone.

There are all kind of politicians. In this case, a couple of bullies, one of whom is so obsessed by abortion he can't talk about anything else.

4. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The New Hampshire legislature has one of the lowest constituent to representative ratios in the world - about 3000 to 1 (if the US House of Reps had a similar ratio, we'd have almost 100,000 reps). So you have a lot of pretty nutty people who are able to get elected because you don't need to attract very many votes. That explains some of the behavior of individual representatives, who are there because people voted for them, not because they are nice people.

5. QCassidy352, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4th graders are writing legislation? Smart kids.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The whole episode makes me laugh inappropriately.

The kids just got an early dose of the idiocy that permeates politics.

smh

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm pretty sure they had some assistance with drafting it, but the idea and concept definitely could have come from them.

But to see someone who they are undoubtedly told they are to respect and honour (their elected officials) literally rip up their bill has to be devastating. I know my 10 year old self would have been completely devastated and disillusioned by our political process.

If I were the kids who brought forth this bill, or the parents of those kids, or the teachers of those kids, I'd definitely go as far as I could to let every one of those two lawmakers' constituents know of their actions, and not only let them know they lost their vote, but show them as the bullies they are. Make no mistake on this one; ripping up the bill in front of those kids is bullying.

BL.

9. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Each NH representative only has about 3000 constituents. I doubt any of the kids have parents who are constituents of the offending reps. I think their terms are only 2 years and NH reps are mostly unpaid ($100 annually plus a per diem), so I doubt there will be any repercussions to anyone. When you have an unpaid position only representing a few thousand people, you can afford to be a jerk if you want to be.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Don't feel bad for them. These kids have now had a real taste of American politics. Not the text book version either.

I hope these kids learn and remember and get engaged and maybe grow a drive to make things better...

State bird = abortion? Lord almighty.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I understand what you are saying.. but very cynical.

I know, right? :eek:

BL.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Well the kids learned that nutjobs can be elected to public office, and I hope they interpret it that way.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, the truly sad part about that rant was the subject of the bill: it was not to designate the state bird, which already appears to be the purple finch, it was to designate the state raptor. Now, I am not an ornithologist, but I get the impression that raptors in general have the same basic eating habits, with the talons and the ripping and all that. So, either the crazy person objects to the idea of a state raptor on principle, or, well, he is just crazy.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

What are you talking about? How should it have been then?

----------

Exactly. They were taught a valuable lesson.
    It appears as if some members think it would've been better to lie to them.
    The sooner they learn about the true nature of government, the better.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Those lawmakers should have had the maturity and character their constituents believed they do when they elected them to handle themselves in a proper manner, especially in front of children. The faith of those constituents was obviously misplaced. shame on the lawmakers.

Those lawmakers should know that their actions come under public scrutiny, especially when on the job at their respective Capitols. They should know to behave better, and yet this is what they present. Again, shame on them.

They should first have looked at the bill, if not read it, as they knew it was coming up on the docket for debate, seen who proposed it, and handled it maturely. Instead, the children there shown to have more maturity than those lawmakers.

Again, a lot of cynicism shown in this thread.

BL.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

I was not being cynic.
    First of all, ten year olds are not old enough to grasp what governing is all about. Having them introduce a bill as a lesson shows a teacher who doesn't understand the stages of development psychology.

Second, the topic of the bill is a waste of taxpayer money. If they have to harass little children with state politics, they should teach them early that it isn't the lawmakers job to make pointless laws or appoint state animals.

And last but not least they got a real life experience of the weirdos in charge. This isn't cynicsim, it's a valuable life lesson.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

[​IMG]

Does this fool think that Eagles are vegetarians?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Who cares if the state adds a new state animal? It may be yet another rule but it doesn't harm anyone...

19. chown33 macrumors 604

Well, that one's eating fettucine, and carrying olives and rosemary.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Maybe the guy just likes to shoot at hawks. If it was an official state symbol, he would not be able to shoot at them. Legally, anyway.