New Hampshire Tax evaders arrested..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankBlack, Oct 5, 2007.

1. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

First, a link to the story.

Ed and Elaine Brown were convicted of not paying federal income taxes, because they consider federal income taxes invalid.

They holed up in their New Hampshire compound, which was heavily fortified.
    They swore not to be taken alive, and that they would hold out for years, if need be. They drew a lot of support, mostly from militia types across the country.

Watching this story unfold over the past few months, I could not help but to be "shocked and awed" at the sheer amount of police resources, both state and federal, that went into this. The Brown's property was surrounded, 24/7. State police agencies from neighboring states were called in. I have even read that the very airspace over the town of plainfield, NH, was restricted. (unconfirmed)

As the story states, they were taken into custody without incident, with a simple ruse from Marshalls.

All this, for a middle aged couple who refused to pay federal income taxes, and decided to make a stand about it.

What do you think?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

I think people should pay their taxes...

3. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I think if they didnt mobilize every law enforcement officer in the whole region for something like tax evasion, we wouldn't need income taxes.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

They broke the law and instead of pursuing the issue through the courts, they chose to view themselves as martyrs. Fortunately for them, they didn't end up being burned at the stake.

If they were black teenagers waving the same banner, would you still feel sympathy for them? Somehow I doubt it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not about them "just not paying their taxes".

Forming an armed and barricaded position is an affront to both society and the rule of law. At that point it doesn't matter a good-g&&-***n what the initial dispute was over -- taxes, or a pig rooting in a neighbor's garden.

No matter what the 'beliefs' are behind it, the 'militia' style response is intolerable in a democratic society. The 'right to bear arms' morphing into the 'right' to use those arms in defense of one's opposition to the government... there lies the path of regional warlords and tribal militias, not unlike what we see in Afghanistan, Iraq, and many of the unstable African countries. Is that the 'freedom' you are fighting for, militias?

6. FrankBlack thread starter macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I never said I felt sympathy for them. Nice try though. Calculus has a point. People should pay their taxes, like it or not. Like most, I fill out my 1040 every year, and send it in with the check.

I guess I should explain something. It's not that the Browns were ultimately caught and arrested that I find shocking. Any logical thinking person would have seen that coming. I'm simply surprised at the expenditure of resources and the "show of force" here. I wonder what the dollar figure was on this? Police overtime, keeping helicopters in the air,,,Any guesses? This is what makes me wonder if this whole thing was not about catching a few tax evaders, but about something else.

And yes, I'm glad this came to an end, without a problem.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Browns were media whores and being held up as demi gods by every single right wing, anti government whacko in the US. Letting them get away with it would have only led to more people doing the same thing. Lawlessness begets lawlessness.

Did it cost a lot to do this? Yes. Were the officials overly careful? Yes, however in the wake of the whackos in Waco, it's not surprising.

I hope that every penny the Browns possess is used to pay the government in compensation for this huge operation. Maybe that'll send a message to the anti government types that crime and whoring yourself to the media, simply doesn't pay.

What is the "something else" that you've alluded to? Some conspiracy theory? Policemen looking for some overtime? Helicopter mechanics who get a few more bucks in their pocket for all the extra work they have to do?

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Another argument for the Fair Tax. Eliminate the entire process of filling out and submitting income tax forms. Taxes would be collected from law abiding citizens and scofflaws alike.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah right. Fair Tax is another right wing wet dream that will never come to pass. H &R Block would go out of business and the US economy would take a huge hit. You can also bet that the wealthy would load such a system with plenty of tax breaks and exemptions, therefore nullifying the program.

Keep dreaming.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That closing statement strongly suggests sympathy for them (decided to make a stand about... positive imagery) and opposing the governmental action (All this for... minimizes the infraction and suggests over reaction)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

These people are nothing more than domestic terrorists. Those who lionize them are traitors.

WTF kind of reasoning is this? How much does it cost in police time when someone is mugged for $20? Are you suggesting that police investigate crime only when the ROI is sufficient to justify their time and effort?

You just can't win with these militia (terrorist)-supporting types. Not enough time and money spent on Waco, so they blame the government. Too much time and money spent here, and again they blame the government.

Cops spend the money on these kinds of operations because if word gets out that all you have to do to avoid paying taxes is declare your intention to hole up with a pile of guns, no one will ever pay taxes again. Same reason they'll pursue a petty thief.

Who isn't? :confused:

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

How is this an argument for anything? It is two right-wing nuts that barricaded themselves with guns to avoid paying taxes.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

All of you who don't support them are part of the seditionists and Freemasons trying to bring about the New World Order!

Well, that's what Ed would be saying.

14. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've always wondered how tax works in the US. Does every person have to fill out a tax return? In the UK, the only people who fill them out are self employed. If you work for another employer it is their responsibily to make sure you pay the correct tax for what they earn and it's taken out of your pay.

We've had situations in this country where people have refused to pay their council tax and barricaded themselves in their houses, but without guns they don't last long until they're taken into custody.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Generally, yes, everybody fills out their own tax returns. Your employer withholds tax payments from your paycheck and sends that money to the government but you have to do a final calculation and file a tax return yourself. Some people have to pay additional tax and some get refunds when too much was withheld. Over here, there are a number of potential adjustments to the tax owed (deductions, credits, and so forth) that are based on each individual's personal situation.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They have to go after people like this, to prove to others they'll go after you if you don't pay your taxes. As said above, otherwise others will think they can get away with it. I'm sure they spent far more than these people owed trying to get them, but that's the cost of "justice".