New Hard Drive or Place Movies on Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbachandouris, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My hard drive has too many Doctor Who episodes on it and I have very little space available (9.9GB free)

I have been debating on either splitting up my library and putting my movies on my Time Capsule to free up space or buying a 1TB hard drive.

Can't justify SSD yet. My Mid 2010 MBP still works fine, so not ready to upgrade yet.

So opinions: new hard drive or move movies to Time Capsule?

Considering Toshiba 1TB (6GB transfer speed, but 5200RPM) for $79.99

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

I place all of my iTunes media on an external drive (1TB). Makes more room on my internal HDD and I don't have to worry about space. Not sure how it works on Time Capsule. I thought it was just for time machine backups? Would love to hear more info on this.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have the space on the TC that will work just fine. Just understand that why are then not being backed up anywhere.

You can just copy them straight to the TC drive or put them in a folder to make things more tidy.

4. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Only 1 Mac using it, so tons of free space (over 2TB I believe).

What are the implications of running my MBP with such limited hard drive space. I understand that would limit page file size.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The drive speeds will start to get slower the closer you get to a full disk. When it gets really full you will get a popup disk full message. Neither will break anything though.

6. codeman7 macrumors member

If you can swing the drive upgrade price and process, I'd suggest that—there's something to be said for the simplicity of having everything on your drive with you wherever you go, and not having to worry about any strange software setups/symlinks to folders/etc. etc.

However, if you don't really need these movies with you, or the cost is prohibitive, then move them to your Time Capsule! Just remember they will only exist there (not be backed up), then, and not be on both your computer AND Time Capsule, which they would be if they were on your internal drive.