New Hard Drives for Powerbooks!!!!

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Hmmm... 5400 RPM. Good. Price tag a tad high though. I belive both Storewell and Lacie have Pocketdrives based on the same (or same kind of) drive.

60 gig drive in a PB G4? Now, THAT would be nice for my movies to go :)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
not sure how long I'll have my PowerBook...

but I just replaced the 10 gig in my TiBook last september with a 30....

I'm not even sure what I'd do with a 60 gig hard drive....I already now have an external firewire 10 (transplanted with my older drive) and the internal 30.....

I don't think I could spend that much money on a 60 gig hard drive the more I think about it......oh well...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you call that a tad high, I want your wallet. At over $700 it is wayyy too steep. Especially since I have seen the same drive in a firewire enclosure for just over $500 (internal). I am also getting it to go inside my TiBook for under $400. :D

Otherworld Computing has it for about $500 (http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/).

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
i keep hearing that these are powerbook hard drives. is there any reason why one couldn't use them in the 12.1 inch ibooks? i mean other than the extremely involved process of exchanging hard drive in the ibooks. is hte heat/power consumption ok for use?

the size sounds great, but the speed jump from 4200 to 5400 sounds really great.

thanks.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
There is a reason... the iBook cannot accept any drive over the 9mm thickness. The 60GB drives are 12mm. I know that it might not seem like much, but the iBook has more of a space crunch then the TiBook does.

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
nope, that makes perfect sense to me. i knew there was a reason somewhere.

thanks a.t.

i will be getting a very large external drive to host my cds anyway (my collection might be up to around 1000 now), but i was thinking about a faster internal drive. i'm still getting "used" to doing things on a laptop....

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
maybe a BTO option

Maybe we'll see the 48 GB TravelStar as standard on the high end PB and the 60 GB as a BTO option. That'd leave the 30 GB as standard on the low end PB. Not a bad line up.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
well as long as its better than what apple ships with them...my dad got a 500 mhz g4 pb with a 30 gig drive...I transfered all his files over and had everything all set, and then the drive crapped out. started clicking and refused to start from disk...then I had to go through the transfer process all over again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.