New HD, recovered from image, but now I don't know the Password and username?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If you didn't understand the title. I got a new HD, installed OSX, connected my external and recovered my backup. Restarted it because everything looked all funny (file names spaced wierd and what not). When is started back up it asked for a username and pass.

I've never used the login screen and I always use the same pass. I tried all the possible username/pass combos I could think of. But I only use one pass anyways so I basically tried every username I could think of. I couldn't figure it out, so I put my old HD back in, and here I am. Any help would be great.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Go to system preferences - accounts. In there you should see the users on your system. Make a list of all the "name"(s). The one marked as admin should be the username it wants.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It won't let me get past the login. It asks for the username, pass, and then it has the option to restart, shutdown, login and somethin' else. That's the only thing that shows up when I start the computer.

I checked the username on this HD and I tried that name and pass multiple times.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I assumed that it would've been the same username/password

How did you recover from the back up?

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Through Disk utility I seleceted the new drive and then my backup "sparseimage" and it started copying everything. After that was done, I restarted. Tried the same username and pass I've always used. but it won't let me in.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok get ready for this either: 1) put in your OS X cd and reset an admin password or root password so you can modify system preferences (NOTE YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE ROOT AS A MAIN USER, JUST WHEN FIXING MAJOR PROBLEMS, I DON'T EVEN USE ROOT EVEN THOUGH I CONSIDER MYSELF A GURU/POWER USER).
    Or for a more complex way:
    2) start up in single user mode (CMD+S) before the chime and hold until a black screen with white text appears. Next type in the commands it lists: fsck -fy [press enter] mount [whatever it lists] [press enter] rc /etc/[whatever it lists] or sommat like that. Ok while it starts up give it a min and when it gets to where it stops listing a lot of stuff type in passwd press enter then hurry and type in a password for root press enter type it in again (it won't show up) and press enter again. It should have worked. When it boots all the way up type in root as user name and the password as the password you typed in quickly. Go fix the password and user names then log out of root.

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm I restarted with the disc and went to "reset password". Selected my drive but there's no user to pick from on the list to reset. What does this mean? Should I just delete everything and start over? I don't think I'm goin to try the 2nd option.