new HDD hybrid (with SSD cache) or 2nd SSD in Optical Bay slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by callagga, Oct 2, 2011.

1. callagga macrumors member

I have the 2010 MacBook Pro 15" and would like to go for a quicker HDD.

What do you think of going for replacing the existing HDD with one of the hybrid HDD's which has a SSD cache, as opposed to putting a 2nd dedicated SSD in the optical bay for the O/S?

An example of the hybrid I had in mind was:
    - Seagate MOMENTUS XT 7200.4 500GB SATA 2.5 7200rpm 32MB

Wondering if going to the hybrid would give me say 70% of the performance increase of a dedicated SSD, or say only 20%? I just have no idea. Would be a bit easier to install the hybrid, however if it only gives me less than 50% of what a dedicated SSD for OS would give me, then I'd probably want to go with the SSD in optical drive slot.

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People have had problems with the hybrid HDDs and honestly I don't see what the point is, other than price. I'd just go for an SSD in the place of the existing boot drive and then blank your factory HDD and install it in the optibay.

3. callagga thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks - so you're saying put the SSD in the normal HDD slot then? I guess I was just assuming I'd put it into the Optibay... Or was it that the boot disk has to be physically in the normal HDD position?

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

It depends on your usage. If you're an average user go with the XT.

I love my Momentus XT. For my usage it feels nearly the same (80%) as an SSD. I've tried Vertex 3 and Crucial M4 before and sold them. In the end they were not worth it for my usage.

Here's how it performs in my MBP: Youtube link

Using the SD28 firmware the Momentus XT works flawless with Macs.

These benchmarks show the real world difference between XT and SSDs: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6071&p=2

The Optibay solution is nice too if you're willing to give up your DVD drive.

5. callagga, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

callagga thread starter macrumors member

I'd started to look at these re SSDs:

• A$429 - 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm Solid State Drive
    • A$499 - 240GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 6Gb/s Solid State Drive. 240GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 6Gb/s Solid State Drive.
    • A$599 - 240GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 6Gb/s Solid State Drive.
    The first is cheapest, but I see the others are 6G. Happen to know whether (a) it's worth paying the extra $$ to get 6G, whatever this is?, and (b) would my MacBookPro (mid-2010) support 6G anyway?

Spec for my MBP. The storage section is:
    * 320GB or 500GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
    * 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
    * Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

Edit - Oh by 6G do they just mean 6GB hence "SATA 3 = 6GB/s" do they? Mind you I can't see any mention of "sata" in my MPB spec?

6. Philflow, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

Philflow macrumors 65816

7. callagga thread starter macrumors member

battery usage & it's impact on what size SSD to get

Oh can I ask about battery usage, as perhaps it impacts what size SSD to get...

That is, I've see a post or two about the potential to drain the battery a lot quicker if you have two drives (i.e. SSD + HDD in optical bay). Not sure how true this is, but if I got a 240GB SSD (as opposed to a 115GB SSD which is probably all I need for OS) then if this turned out to be an issue, then which some effort I could probably live with only one SSD drive for everything...and keep some stuff on an external drive such as movies etc...

comments?

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Buy from places like Newegg, not OWC. You'll save more money.

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

10. glhiii macrumors regular

XT + extra RAM

I updated my Santa Rosa MBP with an XT and increased the RAM from 4 to 6 gigs (the most it will take). It is like a new machine -- seems over twice as fast as before.