New Headphones for my iPhone 5 - Dr Dre Beats studio new for 200 good deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Chuck-Norris, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

got a coupon code to get dr.dre studios for 200 bucks (100 off the 299).

is that a good deal?

i know there overmarketed and over hyped, but are they atleast good? i suppose anything is better then my earpods

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I can't make a comment on the quality of beats headphones since I've never owned a pair, but I just don't like huge over the ear headphones style. I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch in ear buds for $99 and I am more than happy with them. http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4i-rugged-blue

I would say that better headphones can be had for much cheaper prices than the beats.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

4. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

I have soundmagic e10, they arent expensive, solid build, good audio quality, best for me. Tried beats by dr dre, didnt like because my music genre isnt "best friends" with beats by dr dre.

5. Usehername macrumors member

6. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I have a pair of studios that have barely been used, why? Because they suck! The battery will drain very quickly. Try B&W P5 or P3 they are the best on the market.

7. Scallywag macrumors regular

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Beats suck. Period.

I myself enjoy my pair of Beyerdynamic DTX501P's. $99, on-ear, lightweight/folding. Superb sound quality.

9. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I have a pair of the Mixr line and I love them. I paid $249 for mine and that was regular price. The studio($299) sound great as well. I listen to music with heavy 808 beats so Beats By Dre work for me. If you get them for $200 I say go for it.

10. menka macrumors newbie

Not worth it

Dr Dre beats are much over-priced (and hyped) piece of garbage.

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I would check out either the V-MODA M80 or the M100.

I have the M80 and the sound quality is fantastic I would like to upgrade to the M100 soon though because I do like the true over ear style better than the on ear of my M80.

12. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

so by the looks of it, even for 100 dolalrs off bring the price to 200, u guys wouldnt recomend the beats studios? they look nice lolz

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Get what you want. Don't let others dissuade you. More than half the people who don't recommend them never owned a pair themselves. They just repeat what they read online.

http://www.amazon.com/Beats-Studio-...8&qid=1373052579&sr=8-1&keywords=beats+studio

4/5 stars on Amazon with 1,244 reviews

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What kind of music do you listen to?

15. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Miley Cyrus

16. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Buy the beats.

17. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

woo hoo!

lolz in all seriousness, i jsut listen to itunes top 100 junk, whatevers popular

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

All subjective matters. I wouldn't consider them a good deal at any price but they don't provide the sound quality I'm after and I don't care for that type of headphone. You need to decide for yourself. Get them, try them out and decide before your return period runs out.

19. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Definitely buy the beats.

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Me either but that's what the kids are into these days. Make them look like they are in the Biz and on their way to Burbank.

21. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

22. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't use any 'phones from Beats, even if they paid me a thousand dollars a day to use it, because THEY SUCK. Full stop.

----------

Top 100 auto-tune junk.

23. sonymactony macrumors newbie

60% Off

My Sister works in an Apple store in London & said that Beats are 60% off till the end of July, got mine last year when the deal was 50% off.

24. Nostalgia macrumors member

"I have the Beats Studio; this product is a result of great marketing, that's why they're selling them well. However, the product itself wouldn't be able to sell on its own merits. It's a major disappointment especially for the price.

First the pros:
    - Better than average sound quality but what's minimally expected for the price range it's in.

- Great looks! Yes, that hooked me; it's unique, stands out from other headphones, doesn't make you look dorky. But...(see cons)

The Cons:
    - Major sound leakage! I've been asked several times while listening in a coffee shop and airplane to turn it down because people can hear the tunes out of these headphones! And I don't even turn it up! I was listening to classical music for god's sake! I had others try it on to see if I can hear them: I could. Again, not even turned up that high. This leakage is a major fail for this product. I'm embarassed to use this in public now.

- Feels very plastic-ky! It's like a cheap toy! Yes, as I mentioned above, they look great...but once you hold it in your hands and wear it, it feels fragile and the materials don't feel durable; you drop this once, it's all over!

- Noise-cancelling? "block jet engine noise"?! Cancel that!! Okay, it may not be fair that I'm comparing this to my old Bose with noise cancelling but, man, these Beats just barely block out the noise especially when you're in an airplane.

- Power switch- this is the switch to turn NC and basically to get sound in to the headphones. This is a bonehead feature. I have this switch on all the time anyway to hear the sound so, why make me turn it on and off?! Besides, if you forget to turn it off after listening, your battery runs down. There is no auto-off! So, if you're out somewhere with no spare batteries, forget about listening to your tunes.

- Packaging: could they waste any more materials just to package this?! The excessive packaging on this just validates how much this is all about marketing hype and not about product merits. Enough said.

- Product support: Fail. A couple of months ago, I lost the cables for these. Yes, I admit that's my fail. So, I tried to buy the same exact cables so I can get the maximum performance out of these. Result: No one sold them at retails stores. Fine. So, I went to their website hoping to find it... and it says there, they don't currently sell ANY replacement parts and to check back! I just found out that they'll be selling replacement parts online this September. Great. I just bought some other cable after running around trying to find them. My problem with this is, if you're a company and you're going to sell a product...have replacement parts available when you launch your product!! Not months after!!

Summary: So NOT recommended! There's much better ones out there. Don't fall for the hype, marketing, and pseudo celebrity endorsements."

Source: Amazon review for the Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black), user: x2fr