New here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryandelman, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ryandelman macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm a long-time Android phone user, and currently still own and love my Galaxy S3.

However, I was recently given an iPhone4S for work and being the mobile tech enthusiast that I am, I'm curious to learn any/all things to maximize my Apple user experience.

Problem is, I'm used to having the ability for all sorts of customization with Android, and while it seems the vast majority of iPhone people aren't interested in this level of system control, it's actually a big deal for me because I like to tinker.

I guess the ultimate question from someone like me (knowing that I'm in the small minority of most users) is whether the "neat and clean" and "it just works" mantras of Apple are truly all there is to this new iPhone I've been given versus my Galaxy S3 -since that phone is certainly no slouch in its own right- or if there are interesting tips and tricks that might pique my interest?

Obviously, I know I'm out of luck if I'm looking for widgets or hideable app drawers, etc but just anything really that might keep me from getting bored with an iPhone within a month from the customization side.

Incidentally, I really like both phones and both platforms.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to suggest anything.

-Ryan

2. Davejprince macrumors regular

Hi Ryan, so you want tips to customize your iPhone or just tips and tricks to take the most out of it?

First off all, in the Settings app > Brightness & Wallpaper you can change your lockscreen wallpaper and your homescreen one.

You can also make folders to place your apps in, and rename them by holding the folder.

For app-killing you press the home button twice quickly, and you can hold and close them to "kill" the running apps at that moment.

For theme-customization, like buttons, wallpapers, animated things, etc: you can Jailbreak your device altough there are some risks doing that; Even though common sense prevents ruining your phone.

This is all I can tell you about customizing your phone software-wise.

Dave,

3. ryandelman thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tcatcrb macrumors member

Apple also has a free ebook in their bookstore (through the iBooks app) that can show you how to use the phone and the iOS operating system. Great place to start to get the basics for your model and version of the operating system.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak.

The Apple eco-system is great, but if you want to start messing around at a system level this is the only real way. Just the jailbreak itself is an adventure.

Recent jailbreaks and the continuing improvement of Cydia have made this almost a painless, safe process, as well as the process of installing stuff.

Just my two cents. BTW, jailbreaking is NOT the same as unlocking, which is now illegal in the U.S.

6. Zyriab macrumors newbie

7. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Apps can keep you occupied until the cows come home. granted it's not the interface, but what is the interface but a tool to get to the interesting stuff. I therefore think keeping the interface simple and familiar is a plus.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

if you like customization you need to jailbreak.

luckily for you evasi0n has just been released.

9. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

10. ryandelman thread starter macrumors newbie