New "high end" 15" MacBook Pro's optical drive SATA port STILL only 3Gbps..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crunch, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Is there a software update available for this, because Software Update did not download anything to help "turn" my optical drive SATA port into a SATA III (6Gbps) port, which, I thought, was supposed to have happened in the more recently built MBP's...?

I have two SATA III SSD's in my 15" MBP and one of them is rocking 6Gbps, the other says "Intel 6 Series Chipset", just as the main (hard drive) one does, but under Link Speed, it says 3Gbps as well as under Negotiated Speed. :confused:

This MBP was purchased in September and came with Lion out of the box.

Thanks for any insight.

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I believe the firmware speed was supposed to fix an issue where the Sata III ports were reporting Sata II speeds. If you have a Sata II port reporting 3Gb/s, that sounds right. I have the same situation.

3. 1twojay macrumors newbie

If i'm not mistaken the 2011 MBP still only has SATA III on the main drive, optical drive is still only SATA II, no?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You didn't read much on the issue for last half year, did you?
    It should be SATA 3 have you tried each separately. They did have issues with signal quality which was supposedly fixed but I would check it out. Maybe it is just some detection error or wrong jumper settings or something.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Yeah, I was under the same impression.

I have, however, seen some post here that the models that came out later in the year had 6gbps ports connected to the ODD.

6. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Yes, exactly. It was not just a post. It was an article on the main page.

Anyway, I just did a speed test just to make sure and sure enough, the mixture of one SATA III and one SATA II naturally default to SATA II speeds: 470Mbps reads and 350Mbps writes.

When I was on my Mac mini with two SATA III bays, the same drives reported an astounding 930Mbps reads and 480Mbps writes. (on compressed data)

Is this reason enough to swap it out? It's not like Apple even advertised the fact that it carries MBP's with SATA III. Not that I go by that...lol

7. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

There were a lot of threads about this. The first MBP's that came out, had 6G in the main HDD bay, and 3G in the optical bay.
    Newer models had 6G in both bays, however the 6G optical bay in the 17" and 15" MBP's don't seem to work. They work only in the Mac Mini and the 13" MBP according to OWC. Read here:
    http://blog.macsales.com/10433-macbook-pro-2011-models-and-sata-3-0-6-0gbs-update-5272011

The recent Firmware update did only solve the issues in the main HDD bay.