New Hitachi Travelstar 5k500.. clicking, clunking, buzzing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frbmac, Jun 22, 2011.

1. frbmac macrumors newbie

First post here. Been lurking for a while.

Anyway, I recently bought a Hitachi Travelstar 5k500 based on the recommendations of other users here and elsewhere. After I installed it, it seemed all good.

However, after I was using the drive for a while (just surfing the internet) I heard the drive go "CLICK CLICK CLUNK"... And thought that was weird, so I googled it and it seems like a HDD making noise is one that is about to die.

OWC won't issue an RMA as the drive has no bad sectors, even though the drive is making weird noises. Even now, I am downloading a large file and it is making the clicking noises (which I never once heard on the Fujitsu drive which came with the MBP).

Is the drive buggered? Is there anything I can do to check that it is faulty or do I just have to wait for it to die?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. frbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. Hope you are right because these noises are making me anxious :)

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I _used_ to be a faithful OWC customer for years.

Then the first time I had a problem, they refused to honor the very return policy THEY wrote.

I have spent thousands of dollars at other vendors since, and not once looked back. I will never use OWC or suggest them to anyone.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're very much in the minority. OWC has been serving Apple customers for over 20 years. While any vendor can "drop the ball" from time to time, they're well respected, as the vast majority on this forum will agree. I've had only excellent experiences in dealing with the company and their products.

6. frbmac, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

frbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to follow up on this...

I bought another HDD (Seagate) as a backup hard drive and decided to remove the Hitachi because I was over the clicking noises.. Anyway, when I disassembled my MBP I noticed that I had covered the hole which says "DO NOT COVER" :eek:

Anyway, after I removed the Hitachi and put it into a USB enclosure I noticed that the clicking went away, and I also googled what happens when you cover the hole and one guy who experimented with an old HDD said that it made his drive click.

I'm going to put the Hitachi back into the MBP (the Seagate sometimes makes annoying high pitched sounds) to see if the clicks and buzzing are gone for good.

EDIT - Confirming that the hard drive no longer makes noise once the "DO NOT COVER" hole is unobstructed.

7. frbmac thread starter macrumors newbie