New HP w2558hc Vivid Color Widescreen LCD Monitor is Fuzzy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smirking, Dec 6, 2008.

1. smirking macrumors 6502a

My Apple Cinema Display's power switch was getting glitchy and wasn't turning on when I needed it any more so I went out and bought an HP monitor. The HP w2558hc Vivid Color Widescreen had gorgeous picture quality when I saw it in the store, but once plugged into my MacPro Early 2008 w/Nvidia X800 video card, the picture looked blurry and overly bright.

The blurriness resembles the way your screen looks when you have the resolution set to something other than the native monitor resolution, but that doesn't seem to be the problem either. The native resolution of the w2558hc is 1920x1200. I've adjusted my display output resolution to match 1920x1200 as well.

I'm using a Belkin DVI-D Single Link Cable.

Here's more info about the monitor:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9706&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot this or is this a case in which I gotta go return the monitor?

2. smirking thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, can't get your HP w2558hc to work with your Mac?

BTW, in case anyone else just bought this monitor and is dealing with similar issues, here's one other problem that I had.

I got the monitor home and was dismayed to find that it included a DVI to analog display cable. Well, we don't have those old PC analog display ports, but I did have an analog to DVI adapter to connect to the end of the analog plug of the included cable. It didn't work. I couldn't get a strong enough signal through the cable to produce any video output.

If you're frustrated that you can't get any picture to show, you need to buy a DVI to DVI cable. I purchased a 6 ft' single link DVI-D cable which worked, but I wonder if is part of my issue with a blurry output. I don't believe it should be since a DVI-D single link cable is capable of carrying up to 1920 x 1200 resolution images and at 6 ft' the cable is nowhere near maxing out the 5 meter maximum length of the unboosted DVI signal.

3. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

Does the webcam installed in this monitor work with your macbook in clamshell mode?

Did you solve your issue? I have a macbook and am considering this monitor. I would run it in clamshell mode. Can you hear sound from the monitor, when hooked up to your macbook?

4. smirking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry bigdaddy, I don't know because I returned the monitor. I read in an Amazon review that someone else with a Mac had no problem with it. My guess is that my unit was a lemon. Besides these issues that I had with it, I noticed it had a bad pixel.

It was a monstrous thing to unpack, pack, and lug around so I decided against getting another one in case I had to return it a second time. It seriously took two people to repack it.

I got a Samsung 2343BWX from Costco for $260 instead. I'm most likely going to spring for one of Apple's new LED monitors when they come out, so this Samsung will end up being a backup whereas I had plans to keep the HP monitor as my primary monitor.

The 2343BWX is a terrific monitor for the price. It's no competition for a Apple Cinema Display or a DELL Ultrasharp, but at a price point of the mid $200's, it is a lot of monitor for the money. If I didn't do serious design and programming work on my Mac, I'd just keep this as my main monitor.

5. cdemetriadis macrumors newbie

Yes it does work. I just bought the same monitor and have the Unibody MacBook. The MacBook comfortably under the monitor, as you can see in this pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmd/3268371869/

Monitor ia as crisp as any monitor running in native resolution. I did although have to go and buy a DVI to DVI cable.

The only isue I'm having is proper color calibration. I just can't seem to get the right colors on the HP monito, especially compared to the led display on my MacBook.

If anyone has any solution, let me know...

6. blackbudget macrumors newbie

ips?

is the w2558hc an ips display? the dude at hp didn't know and couldn't find out.

7. plener macrumors newbie

I have similar problem mac g4

i tried a apple dvi to adc adapter--on my G4 nothing so far--i think it maybe due to a difference between dvi-i and dvi-d or even dvi-a--at this point i just gave up and got a g5--on it's way and will post if video works g5

peter