New i-Phone 4 Carrier signal still show 3(2G)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raychristenpaul, Oct 11, 2010.

1. raychristenpaul macrumors newbie

raychristenpaul

Do you have the same problem?

I recently bought a new i-phone 4 and obviously sync with my new i-mac where I previously sync with my old i-phone 3. Yup, all the data that needed to be transfered from my old set to my new i-phone 4 were transfered; eg. contacts and pics. No complaints about that bit.

Here's my dilema:

On the top left hand corner, just next to the signal strength bar indicator it should display the local carrier service provider indicator which is 4G but mine is still showing 3 (2G). A friend of mine had the same new i-phone 4 and it display 4G.

I went to SETTING and tap to CARRIER and it auto search for carriers and still it shows 3(2G). So weird?

Any clue? Glad if anyone can offer advice as it has been bugging me. Thank you. By the way, I live in Hong Kong.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iPhone 4 doesn't support 4G. 3G is the best you can get. Your mate hacked his phone.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You need a different chip to access a 4G network and the chip is not present in the iPhone.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Above points are good. The iphone4 doesn't support "4G" wireless and never was marketed as such. The "4" is just the progression; iphone, iphone 3G, iphone 3GS, iphone 4. Some folks have referred to it as the "iphone 4G" meaning fourth generation, but that has nothing to do with 4G wireless technology and only creates confusion.