New i5 MBP from CL – should I be suspicious?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KeenMetal, May 16, 2010.

1. KeenMetal macrumors newbie

I'm visiting the states for a few weeks, and found some good looking offers on Craigslist. I'm about to buy a i5 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro from someone for $1650.

When I look over it, I'm thinking of calling Apple to give them the serial number to check if it was stolen or something – does that make sense?

The seller also doesn't want to give me the receipt, but I can look at it. Is that normal, or something I should be suspicious about? Wouldn't I need the receipt for any future repairs under the warranty, or is a copy enough?

2. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Age old saying, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. There is really no reason why someone would have this without a receipt, or not be willing to provide one. With that being said, find out why they are selling it, you never know. And you don't need the receipt for warranty purposes in general, but if there is ever a dispute about it (such as when it expires), you will need to provide it.

Edit: This also doesn't appear to be a significant savings (~$150). If you're really concerned about it, it may be better to head to the Apple Store and buy it new, or find it new from some other discount retailer (http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/). MacMall appears to have it for $1658 brand new.

3. KeenMetal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, thanks for the link – I didn't know about the cheap price over at MacMall. Well, it is a savings of $190 dollars.
    I'll try and find out why they are selling it... good advice there.

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

For me, $200 are worth my piece of mind, especially when you just visiting the US. Just image some trouble with that MBP comes up and you must leave the country.

Just buy it from the Apple Store or BestBuy and enjoy your machine.