New iBooks?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I doubt we will see them, not without the Powerbook upgrades at the same or before the date of upgrade.

I think the 12" may be dropped but I hope not because it is so portable.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Wow, There are people on that board who have got over 1000 posts, that cool! They mush just sit there posting!

oh, that makes this post look like one to bank up numbers.

Heres the information:

People are saying that the 12" iBook has been marked end of line and new iBooks will be in within 2 weeks, this would make sense to have a Portable show at Tokyo cause as far as I can muster Japan likes Portable machines! Therefore I expect a new iPod as well.

Ensign

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
If Apple drops the 12" iBooks (which I think it would be stupid of them to do, but anyway), do you think that they will discount the remaining 12" models to get rid of them?

I decided to hold off on my iBook purchase just to see if this happens!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by cleo
If Apple drops the 12" iBooks (which I think it would be stupid of them to do, but anyway), do you think that they will discount the remaining 12" models to get rid of them?

I decided to hold off on my iBook purchase just to see if this happens!
I'd only wait until Wednesday if so... first off, this entire rumor seems very unlikely...

if on the very limited chance it's true... it would happen on Wednesday (MWTokyo)

arn

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
no it doesnt seem likely. an update to the ibooks 3 months after the last and while the ibooks are already nipping at the dated Pbook's heels. someone didnt think things through when they came up with this one. the only way this could happen is if they update BOTH the ibook and the Powerbook.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Wow, There are people on that board who have got over 10000 posts, that bloody amazing! They mush just sit there posting!

yea some people just have to get a life

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Wow, There are people on that board who have got over 10000 posts, that bloody amazing! They mush just sit there posting!
They had friends, and lives once, but that was long, long ago.

Now they have avatars, handles, nifty sigs, star ratings, and CTS!

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Seems odd what those guys are saying on that site.

Why are stores marking the iBook as "End of Life"? Is this true? has anyone else noticed this? If so, why would this be?

Why are they speculating that Apple will get rid of the 12" model? Does anyone know how the 14" is selling against the 12"? Everyone I know who has an iBook has the 12" and chose it specifically because of its size...

My feeling is if they are going stopthe 12" it would have to be because a) they can't find any way to dissipate the heat from a G4 processor in such a tiny space, b) they don't want the 12" to be confused with or overlap with some new sub- or sub-sub notebook-type product (I won't name it...) they have in the works...

Still can't believe they would pull the rug from under one of their most popular products. Hope instead they get rid of (large) plastic margins around the 12" screen and fit it with a 13" (for the sake of the eyes of those who complain about the current 12" screen) but otherwise keep the form the same as the 12". Oh, and drop the 14" from the line.

Otherwise, I say bring back a revamped Pismo if Apple is going to axe the 12" -- in serveral ways it was a better design than the 14" iBook (says proud owner of Pismo...).

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!

oh, that makes this post look like one to bank up numbers.
Well here's my bank for this thread. :D

Yeah, the status of "Clinically Insane" would be about accurate for some of those guys... I gave up at MacNN at around 250, and lately I've found these forums are a bit more interesting. And I like the smaller population here too.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
hah, a post on that forum reminded me of something Apple told us a few months ago. No new hardware. Remember that?? What have we gotten??

10GB iPod
800MHz Powerbooks with 1MB DDR Cache
23" Hi-Def Display
eMac

word.

i love Apple.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
If I were to guess, I'd say that the 14" iBook would take the form factor of the old Pismo, while the 12" iBook would stay. It seems like Apple is trying to create two different product lines with the iBook, and this seems reasonable.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I really don't like the way the iceBook looks. What I want is an old iBook with a bigger friggin screen, have you seen the amount of space on the clamshell ones? It's enormous, You could easily fit a 14" screen in one of these things.

On another note the TiBook design just wasn't good to begin with. I know it's 1" thick and it has that nice ass screen and it's made out of titanium and all, it just seems so fragile. I want a G4 powerbook in a Pismo case, expansion bays and all. It's just such a great design.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by sparkleytone
hah, a post on that forum reminded me of something Apple told us a few months ago. No new hardware. Remember that?? What have we gotten??

10GB iPod
800MHz Powerbooks with 1MB DDR Cache
23" Hi-Def Display
eMac

word.

i love Apple.
I just think it's so cool how Apple tends to mess with our minds. It just gives us so much to talk about and debate about. :cool:

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
iBook updates anytime

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
no it doesnt seem likely. an update to the ibooks 3 months after the last and while the ibooks are already nipping at the dated Pbook's heels. someone didnt think things through when they came up with this one. the only way this could happen is if they update BOTH the ibook and the Powerbook.
It seems to me that iBooks could be updated at any time. Historically, they've pretty much been updated whenever Apple felt like it and often without announcement. It seems like iBook, unlike other Apple computers, gets minor tweaks every few months rather than major revisions every 6 months like the other lines. There really haven't been any major iBook revisions since it originally came out (only gone up 200 MHz and larger screen model available).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.