Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hocksrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Lisbon
Hello all,

My name is Rutger

I was wondering.
Just bought a New Imac
Specs:
  • Processador Intel Core i5 6‑core de 8.ª geração a 3,0 GHz, Turbo Boost até 4,1 GHz
  • 16 GB de memória DDR4 a 2666 MHz
I am looking for a 2nd monitor 4K to hook up.
I was planning on buying the LG 27UK850, the specs are great. I am using it it for Photo and video editing.

Big question is can I hookup a 4K television instead? 32"
They are cheaper and some have the same specs or even better.

Any advice on this matter anyone?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Perhaps you can but you can get a large 4K monitor for less.

I was planning on buying the LG 27UK850, the specs are great
Yes they are but the only reason to own one is that you need an additional USB-C port on the monitor. Otherwise, the 27UL650-W is the same monitor for $150 less—just need a USB-C to DP adapter (I went with a cable instead).

Get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for $16–$21 on Amazon. The 1M is fine to the right but a longer cable is better on the left (I find the 1M too tight).

The 27UD58P-B isn't quite as bright as the 27UL650-W but that's ok—I still turn it down a bit. The full 250 nits is too bright for me. I bought a pair for $279 each a month ago. The other thing I like is that the pedestal base fits my desk better. That long curved base of many LGs doesn't fit my desk when there's 2 of them flanking my iMac Pro.

Here's the entire LG 4/5K monitor line.

https://www.lg.com/us/4k-monitors
[doublepost=1560372185][/doublepost]USB-C is just a port for this purpose. It doesn't matter if the signal comes over a USB-C or DP cable.

Reactions: Hocksrm

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I was faced with a similar choice. I went to the Apple Store and looked at the 27" 5k (they had a few left) and the new 24". Interestingly, the clerk advised me NOT to buy the 27", and given the reviews and its reputation, I must say I wasn't tempted. I thought about the 24", but I just don't trust LG.

Instead I went for the Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q 24-Inch. It's really nice, works at 4k really well and the 24" size is great. That gives me a PPI of I think 185, so it's semi-retina, at least at the distance I want. Since my iMac is P3 sRGB was fine for the second display. Easy to adjust and calibrate, and has an excellent stand. Can do portrait mode as well. And a good bargain, $350US at Amazon. They'll been popular on Macs for a while. Just make sure you don't try to use the Apple adapter for it; get a USB-C to DP cable elsewhere (Dell's provided one doesn't seem to work well).

Hocksrm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Lisbon
Perhaps you can but you can get a large 4K monitor for less.

Yes they are but the only reason to own one is that you need an additional USB-C port on the monitor. Otherwise, the 27UL650-W is the same monitor for $150 less—just need a USB-C to DP adapter (I went with a cable instead).

Get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for $16–$21 on Amazon. The 1M is fine to the right but a longer cable is better on the left (I find the 1M too tight).

The 27UD58P-B isn't quite as bright as the 27UL650-W but that's ok—I still turn it down a bit. The full 250 nits is too bright for me. I bought a pair for $279 each a month ago. The other thing I like is that the pedestal base fits my desk better. That long curved base of many LGs doesn't fit my desk when there's 2 of them flanking my iMac Pro.

Here's the entire LG 4/5K monitor line.

https://www.lg.com/us/4k-monitors
[doublepost=1560372185][/doublepost]USB-C is just a port for this purpose. It doesn't matter if the signal comes over a USB-C or DP cable.

Alright so buying the 27UL650-W and connect it with a high end HDMI and USB-C to Digital AV with give me the same result as buying the 27UL850-W? The 27UL850-W just has a some more connection ports?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
But for games, movies, etc. I put it on max, and could do with more

Ok... I don't watch movies on mine nor am I a gamer. That makes sense.
[doublepost=1560389286][/doublepost]I was faced with a similar choice. I went to the Apple Store and looked at the 27" 5k (they had a few left) and the new 24". Interestingly, the clerk advised me NOT to buy the 27", and given the reviews and its reputation, I must say I wasn't tempted. I thought about the 24"...[/QUOTE]
Idiot clerk.

The 22" and 24" Ultrafine monitors are 4K. The 27" is 5K. The 24 & 27 are TB3 while the 22 (actually 21.5") is USB-C.

...but I just don't trust LG.
I know, right?

After all, the Ultrafine 22 is the same screen as in the 21.5" iMac and the 27" is the screen that Apple uses in the 27" iMac and iMac Pro since 2017.

Can't trust LG to know anything about this. Yes, there were some reports that the earliest units had production problems but those were worked out quickly.
Instead I went for the Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q 24-Inch. It's really nice, works at 4k really well and the 24" size is great. That gives me a PPI of I think 185, so it's semi-retina, at least at the distance I want. Since my iMac is P3 sRGB was fine for the second display. Easy to adjust and calibrate, and has an excellent stand. Can do portrait mode as well. And a good bargain, $350US at Amazon. They'll been popular on Macs for a while. Just make sure you don't try to use the Apple adapter for it; get a USB-C to DP cable elsewhere (Dell's provided one doesn't seem to work well).
Nothing wrong with those. Absolutely agree on getting a cable instead of an adapter.

The height adjustable LGs do portrait mode as well. This includes the 27" 4Ks that I bought for $279 each.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I know, right?

After all, the Ultrafine 22 is the same screen as in the 21.5" iMac and the 27" is the screen that Apple uses in the 27" iMac and iMac Pro since 2017.

Can't trust LG to know anything about this. Yes, there were some reports that the earliest units had production problems but those were worked out quickly.

I love the way you wrote this, hehe.

LG as a whole I have no opinion on, but LG Display genuinely offers top notch quality. Their panels typically offer the best image at a given price point. They don't always offer super many fancy features other than a great panel, but their panels are top.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
Instead I went for the Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q 24-Inch. It's really nice, works at 4k really well and the 24" size is great. That gives me a PPI of I think 185, so it's semi-retina, at least at the distance I want.

Don't the Dell Ultrasharp series start with U rather than P?

I was just browsing in a store today and saw the 27 in equivalent of the Ultrasharp. Very nice stand indeed. Apparently, it's a new version of the stand that came out 2 months ago on the U series that has a better hinge than the P series one. It pretty much does all the $999 stand on the upcoming Mac Pro XDR display and it comes bundled with a monitor for a lot less than $999. Apparently Dell has been doing the thin bezel IPS screens for a long time (as have other manufacturers) so the upcoming Mac Pro XDR display isn't such an innovation as has been touted design wise.

It has a matte screen though. I think the 5k retina screens on the iMac look better with the glossy finish. Don't know about effect on eyesight though. Shame about the thick bezels. If someone came out with a glossy retina version of the Dell screen it would be one to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.