New iMac -- Better option? Apple's 768GB or Crucial's 960GB SSD?

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I will probably purchase a new iMac in the next day or two and need some input on the best option for SSD. I only want an SSD in the new machine -- no Fusion or HDD in it at all.

Would it be better to just pay Apple's outrageous $900 for the 768GB SSD

or

should I order a machine with a standard HDD, then remove it and install the new Crucial 960GB M500? (I would do this via my local AASP, so warranty would be intact)

apedance

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Vienna
Hi.

900$ for 768gb vs
700$ for 960gb

(I would do this via my local AASP, so warranty would be intact)
Really possible?
If yes -> I would def. go for the Crucial.

What about specs? I guess the Crucial might be a little faster, maybe?

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I would go with the stock machine. If you bring/send your machine in for service (for any reason)... Apple might replace the machine, and they are not obligated to return your internal SSD.

This is the same reason when I upgraded RAM on my iMacs (4 of them)... I kept the original (small) RAM... so that I could replace the RAM with the original before sending the iMac in for repair.

It is one thing to do for a user replaceable part like RAM. I really do not want to be doing that with my boot drive on a sealed box.

/Jim

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
What brand is the 768GB that Apple uses?

----------

I would go with the stock machine. If you bring/send your machine in for service (for any reason)... Apple might replace the machine, and they are not obligated to return your internal SSD.
That is a good point and something I did not think about. Thanks!

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2008
Even if an AASP, I'd bet it would invalidate your warranty. Especially if this is logged - getting a brand new machine and then replacing the drive straight away...with a non standard one. I could be wrong.