New iMac -- Better option? Apple's 768GB or Crucial's 960GB SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sam Spade, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I will probably purchase a new iMac in the next day or two and need some input on the best option for SSD. I only want an SSD in the new machine -- no Fusion or HDD in it at all.

Would it be better to just pay Apple's outrageous $900 for the 768GB SSD

or

should I order a machine with a standard HDD, then remove it and install the new Crucial 960GB M500? (I would do this via my local AASP, so warranty would be intact)

2. apedance, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

apedance macrumors member

Hi.

900$ for 768gb vs
    700$ for 960gb

Really possible?
    If yes -> I would def. go for the Crucial.

What about specs? I guess the Crucial might be a little faster, maybe?

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would go with the stock machine. If you bring/send your machine in for service (for any reason)... Apple might replace the machine, and they are not obligated to return your internal SSD.

This is the same reason when I upgraded RAM on my iMacs (4 of them)... I kept the original (small) RAM... so that I could replace the RAM with the original before sending the iMac in for repair.

It is one thing to do for a user replaceable part like RAM. I really do not want to be doing that with my boot drive on a sealed box.

/Jim

4. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

What brand is the 768GB that Apple uses?

----------

That is a good point and something I did not think about. Thanks!

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Even if an AASP, I'd bet it would invalidate your warranty. Especially if this is logged - getting a brand new machine and then replacing the drive straight away...with a non standard one. I could be wrong.