new iMac coming, install beta now or wait?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 1, 2017.

  1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

    HiFiGuy528

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #1
    I have new 27" iMac coming. Should I install the beta OS right out of the box so I don't have to update when official release is out? What happens to the beta OS when the public version goes live? Will I be able to update to released version without a full reinstall? or will my machine stay at beta software until I wipe the install? Thanks for your advice.
     
  2. nekton1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Location:
    Asia
    #2
    IMO, wait. The current 10.13 beta 4 is very buggy. It's only about 8 weeks until the final release. If you REALLY want to try an early beta, install it on an external Thunderbolt drive.
     
  3. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #3
    Personally, I would have waited until the release of High Sierra to purchase the iMac, just in case an updated version of the iMac comes out along with it.
     
  4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Wait.

    If you have any problems with the new iMac and need to discuss with Apple, you don't want the fact you are on an unreleased OS confusing things.

    You don't say if your iMac is fusion, but if so there is an added reason not to go 10.13 at this point.
     
  5. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    A few comments, I agree that I would have waited for the next product cycle which is near to see if there is a "new iMac". With regard to running High Sierra, please note that Apple (Genius) won't touch it running a beta. They will make you downgrade and will most likely make you do it and send you home with instructions. So if you have issues, questions about functionality, migration assistance, etc. you are out of luck there.

    In terms of the final release and how this will work, I asked a similar question. From what I understand, Apple will release a "Golden Master" to us through the app store that will be identical to the official release. It will show up in the App store and will install just like going from El Capitain to Sierra.

    Should you do it? I don't know, personally if I had a shiny new toy coming I think I would want it to work as advertised and not have bugs. My install is pretty stable, A LOT more stable than iOS11, but there are still minor issues like Safari, iTunes and iMessage functionality not "working as expected".
     
  6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

    MacGizmo

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    Location:
    Arizona
    #6
    You'll be able to upgrade from the betas to the final shipping version of High Sierra via software update just as always. Now whether you WANT to update is up to you. Many times a new beta for the next OS is released shortly after the previous version ships.
     
  7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

    HiFiGuy528

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #7
    you guys made very good points. Thank YOU! I surely hope Apple don't release a new iMac less than two months into the one I just bought. Sadly, I am still waiting for my BTO 27" iMac. :(

    About the update to released version, would it be a full install of the OS or is it a small update from beta to released version like typical small updates via the AppStore?
     
  8. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    As I said, it will be like going from El Capitain to Sierra. Have you done that? It will feel like a full install, not a beta or OS patch. 30 minutes at least.
     
  9. Crash0veride, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

    Crash0veride macrumors regular

    Crash0veride

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2016
    Location:
    Cincinnati
    #10
    I'm on HSierra on PBeta on the new 27 iMac and it's quite a bit buggy. There really isn't that huge of a downside to waiting or an upside to doing it now (HEVC and curiosity are the only reasons I'm on beta). There is the iMac Pro coming this winter.

    Also the final "GM/Gold Master" Beta functions as the release version, and there is no "upgrade" from beta to main release channel. You can leave the beta channel and upgrade to 10.13.1 from 10.13.0 or you can stay on the beta channel and just keep getting updates.
     
  10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

    mmomega

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Location:
    DFW, TX
    #11
    I definitely agree with most others reporting that so far 10.13 is very buggy.
    I have several several apps that barely work properly so there has been lots of reporting bugs to various other app makers + bug reporting to Apple.
    Just in hopes that most of this gets worked out before most people get their hands on it.

    I've been testing across a wide variety of Macs and I've decided to skip on my '17 iMac simply because of how many issues I've come across on the other machines. And the 17 being my daily driver I don't want to be dealing with more dowtime and troubleshooting when I actually need to be working.

    ... my 2 cents
     
  11. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

    HiFiGuy528

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #12
    thank you, thank you, thank you.... for the kind advice. Now I just need the iMac to ship.
     
  12. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

    Joined:
    May 20, 2015
    #13
    If I remember correctly on my Late 2015 iMac 5K it had been like that:

    10.11.0 (special build number) preinstalled worked without any issue.

    10.11.1 Beta 1 released before the iMac did not work at all.

    10.11.1 Beta 2 until some beta or final of 10.11.2 or 3 caused many problems with the USB 3.0 ports. It always seemed they forgot to update some drivers in the betas released after the iMac because they had to hide them before in all betas released before the iMac.
     
  13. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

    MacGizmo

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    Location:
    Arizona
    #14
    My standard advice for people who ask about running beta software is: "If you have to ask, you should absolutely NOT run it."
     
  14. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #15
    For the most part I agree with that. For me, I didn't ask first, but if I did I would just like to make sure the basic daily stuff works. I don't do anything significant on my daily driver. Surf, buy stuff, read forums, listen to music, iMessage etc. I haven't found from the beginning (PB1) any hinderance in what I need to do. It hasn't crashed once or froze. All Sierra functionality seems to work, the High Sierra new stuff is a work in progress (iMessage in the cloud, APFS, etc.).

    All this said, to the OP, again, if I had a shiny new toy coming my first task wouldn't want to be to break it or to minimize what it can do. For me, iOS11 has made me think "why did I do this" on several occasions, mostly Maps, Siri issues, car integration (not CarPlay, just playing music and using Siri while driving).
     
  15. lemimouth macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2015
    #16
    While I agree with everyone else, I installed High Sierra on my 2016 Macbook Pro (started at DP2 I think) and don't regret it. Yes I was prepared to the worst case but didn't happen. Except minor annoyances, everything I use work fine (Logic Pro, Amplitube, Guitar Pro, Photoshop, 1Password, MS Office, Xcode, Plex, VMware Fusion, Spotify, to name a few).

    It's my home computer and I expect things to be broken on a beta and can live with it. It's up to you.
     
  16. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

    HiFiGuy528

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #17
    I got my new 27" iMac with Radon 580 and 2TB Fusion Drive. Decided to take your advice and use the preinstalled OS. I'll upgrade to High Sierra when it's ready for public consumption. :)
     
  17. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

    LarryJoe33

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2017
    Location:
    Boston
    #18
    Nice! Enjoy the new goods!
     
  18. StarShot macrumors 6502

    StarShot

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2014
    #19
    IMO, WAIT! I've played around with betas in the past and I think around 50% of them "bricked". I can see going beta if you're a developer, but just not worth the risk to talk about all the new features around the water cooler.
     
  19. stooovie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    #20
    Wait. The biggest feature is the new APFS file system and there's no way in hell I'd trust a beta file system. People have all kinds of problems with it. Not worth it.
     
  20. tarsins macrumors 6502

    tarsins

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Location:
    Wales
    #21
    Definitely wait. Don't take the chance that a beta will ruin that new Mac feeling - something we don't get too often.
     

Share This Page