New iMac, CPU temp is 98°C?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mavis, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hey guys,

Just got my new iMac (27" i7) and I'm worried about how hot the CPU gets under load.

The fan speeds WAY up while doing 1080p transcoding in Handbrake; I installed iMenu Pro and it's reporting CPU Core (DTS) temps of 96-98°C with the fan spinning at 2560rpm. That seems really high to me - should I be concerned?

2. simsaladimbamba

While 98° C is within the limits, it is quite high.
    I have a Mac with an i7 3770K, the iMac uses the i7 3770, and even during highly CPU intensive tasks like transcoding or rendering, it never reaches more than 70° C, but then again, the fan is a lot bigger than on the iMac and only spins to 1,300 RPM or so during those temperature.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Well, I don't know. Within a minute of pausing the encode, the temps are back in the 50-55° range (ambient is around 28° - fairly warm) ... I guess it's a good thing I got the AppleCare. :)

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

5. simsaladimbamba

Since those temps are within limits, it should be fine, and even if you did not get the Apple Care Protection Plan, your iMac is still covered by the 1-year standard warranty and maybe even what ever customer rights Japan has.

----------

Should have thought of that. Open the new 2012 iMac like a box of candy and disassemble it like a bike and put on new thermal paste like putting on some oil on the chain and then reassemble it again like you would a disassembled car.

Nice one.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Is that a real suggestion? Maybe should also re-solder some chips while the OP is at it.

7. glasgood, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

glasgood macrumors member

Nvidia cuda

Encoding does put the CPU under a great deal of stress, so the high temp is probably normal given the task of encoding using just the CPU. You say you have the new iMac 27", then it will have at least the NVIDIA GTX 660m graphics processing unit with 384 CUDA cores.

You can buy software that supports CUDA for transcoding / encoding your media content. Then you can share the workload between the NVIDIA GPU and the processor and get the job done in a much faster time.

>>CUDA iSkySoft<<

>> iskysoft Mac Media Converter CUDA supported <<

>>NVIDIA CUDA<<

>> CUDA Applications <<

.:)

8. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that Handbrake supported OpenCL; is that only on Windows? How can I check whether my card is supported or not? (This is probably the wrong place to ask, isn't it?) ... Thanks again

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Brilliant