New iMac G3 Snow 600mhz but have some questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JakeNZ, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JakeNZ macrumors member

I have always wanted one of these babies and now I do. I have ordered 2x 512mb ram (1gb) to replace the current slow 125mb which is unsuitable for almost anything I want to do such as basic youtube.

Anyway I can't find a lot of information on this exact model and would like to get some of the original peripherals. I have a micro$oft mouse and an apple usb keyboard but it has an indigo bottom on it. What keyboard and mouse shipped with it? Also is there anywhere I can get a replacement ram cover? This one is missing.

I am also having trouble understanding how to get classic working, can someone point me in the right direction? I have some old software I would really like to run, unsuitable for my OS X Lion MacBook Pro obviously.

Thanks

2. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

basic youtube

is going to be very hard at 600 mhz of G3'ness, even with a gb of RAM. The G3 struggles with any streaming video these days, unless its very low quality.

Your best bets are: Tenfourfox, and downloadhelper, download file for playback in VLC or, Seamonkey or Bon Echo Firefox (2.0.20) and keep your flash player set to 240p. Or download in tenfourfox and open file in mplayer (extracted binary, not the GUI version) from commandline. Search PPC luddites blog for info on how to do the last one.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Funny, I have a replacement ram cover. Blue iMac G3 color. I left it off an iMac G3 a long time ago and was just about to toss it. PM me.

I'd get a 120gb hard drive, too, if I were you, that will also speed things up.

4. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

yeah you're going to be hard pressed to get a 600Mhz iMac playing youtube. I have a 700Mhz G4 mac with double the video memory of an iMac G3 and it can't play youtube at all. Not trying to be a downer, just letting you know.