Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Shown by Phil Schiller at the Apple Expo Paris keynote speech, the iMac G5 debuted to enthusiastic crowds. Taking the form of one of the recently introduced aluminum displays, the iMac is now the thinnest desktop personal computer on the market at only 2" thick. Featuring a 1.8 GHz G5 processor, NVidia 5200 graphics processor, and a choice of 17" or 20" displays, the imac is redesigned with the all-in-one ease of use of the original iMac with the horsepower and capability of a modern-day machine.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
totally ugly. it looks like a bulimic eMac. The eMac: regurgitated.

I'd rather it be thicker than to have that extra space on the bottom. Plus, the logos are way too large.

Who knows, maybe the rest of the world will like it.

Hell, maybe that's why Steve didn't do the keynote -- he was too embarrassed.

.narco

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
wowsa.

Attachments

• new_imac.jpg
    new_imac.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,779

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
mmmm

Interesting lack of venting - wonder what the heating issues are?

OR NOT :(

My thought Mak

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I want one. Very nice. But, as millions of others are probably thinking, the 17" PB can't be far behind.

Squire

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Finally! Now all I need to decide is if I want the 17" or 20".

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Just placed my order!!! Whew, the person who just paid 1995 for my old 20" on ebay is going to be pissed....

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
narco said:
totally ugly. it looks like a bulimic eMac. The eMac: regurgitated.

I'd rather it be thicker than to have that extra space on the bottom. Plus, the logos are way too large.

Who knows, maybe the rest of the world will like it.

Hell, maybe that's why Steve didn't do the keynote -- he was too embarrassed.

.narco

I'll pass judgement when I see it live. It's difficult with pictures on the web.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Initial reaction-a little ugly.... but it's slowly growing me.

Here's to hoping for an iPod mini effect where it turns out to be a great success after a lackluster introduction.

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Amazing - certain to be a success. There seems to be a fairly sizeable vent along the bottom, and it's still a bit thicker than would be acceptable in a PowerBook - but hopefully that won't be too far away.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
rdowns said:
Finally! Now all I need to decide is if I want the 17" or 20".

I am in the same boat, but, I decided on the 17. With the mini vga out, I am sure the ole hack will work to span!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Not the most thrilling design in the world but still very very nice. Amazing how they crammed it all in that small form factor. The only question now is "What post office do I rob to get the money for one?"

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
When will they deliver HEADLESS

Market desperately needs cheap headless consumer Mac. Only Apple won't see it. I don't believe that this machine is going to perform any better on market than the "lamp" did.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Much better than what I expected. I was expecting something connected to the monitor and a bunch of holes in the case. It's nice that they got it so thin. The graphics card is probably the only disappointment. I don't know from first hand experience but that is what I hear from people in these discussion boards.

I bet that Apple can't meet the demand. Demand will be off the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.