New iMac, How to claim free upgrades for keynote/pages etc?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dinojr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dinojr macrumors member

Hello, ordered new iMac Friday, arrived today.

It does not have Mavericks installed, so am downloading it from app store now. I'll then make a bootable USB key for the install.

Question: when Mavericks is installed, how do I then claim free upgrades for Keynote/pages/numbers/iPhoto/garageband etc?

App store says it wants to charge me, but these apps are free for iMacs bought after Oct 1st... Correct? How do I prove that to the app store?

Also, if I format this mac in the coming years, will the app store "remember" to let me update again? Ideally I'd like the apps saved to the HDD, if possible.

2. Bear macrumors G3

After you update to Mavericks, check the Mac App Store to see if you have licenses for the software or if the software is free. If not, the Up To Date program is the way to go.

And since the software will be listed as purchased when you're done you will always be able to reinstall it.

3. dinojr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Bear

The up-to-date website only gives me the option to upgrade Keynote/pages/numbers...

Where are iPhoto and Garageband updates?

4. Bear macrumors G3

You system came with the iLife apps, those licenses should register when you run software update the first time.

5. dinojr thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm a bit stuck here...
    Mavericks install went OK, but now there is no "existing" iPhoto app to update. It's not on the mac anymore!

I saw the iPhoto app when switching on with Snow Leopard... Was I supposed to save an iPhoto file before the Mavericks update? Confused.

6. Fuith macrumors member

Hang on, it came with Snow Leopard installed? If that's the case, it's a couple of years old at least. The iWork apps are free to new Macs, the iLife apps you will have to reinstall from the cd that should have come with the computer.

7. dinojr thread starter macrumors member

Sorry not Snow Leopard, I meant Mountain Lion... Doh!

It's a brand new Haswell iMac, came with 10.8 installed, including iPhoto etc.
    Did a clean install of Mavericks, and now there's no iPhoto app.
    App store wants to charge me £10.49 for it?!?!? What should I do?

iMac didn't come with an install disc, obviously.

8. jg321 macrumors 6502

Did you sign into the App Store with the ML install that it came with? I'm guessing not, because when you do, it activates the "free" copies of iPhoto, iMovie etc. I upgraded to Mavericks (no point doing a full install on a 1 week old installation I thought), and then iLife, Numbers and Pages appeared in the "Purchased" section also.

Not sure how you get around this. You need to get a copy of iPhoto on there somehow.

9. dinojr thread starter macrumors member

You are correct, I opened app store for the Mavericks D/L link, and that's it. I installed Mavericks from a USB drive, a "clean" install. I thought that was what I'm supposed to do!

iLife suite has completely gone, and App Store wants to charge me for it! Disaster...