new imac is coming next week...old one is a little buggy. how would you transfer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tuzeman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. tuzeman macrumors newbie

My old imac seems to have a few problems. Nothing terrible, but programs will occassionally stop responding and VERY occassionally it will freeze completely...so sure, it's pretty old and a little buggy. Keep in mind that my general work-flow has me with many open programs at once, switching back and forth while almost always online, etc... So, the new 3.4 i7 is coming next week. Would you do a straight transfer via superduper or would you manually install things from the back up drive...I'd love the simplicity of the former, but I'm a little worried I'll transfer some of the bugs...thoughts?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I always find that a clean install makes the new computer seem faster. I would go with that.

It may be more time consuming, but I think worth it in the long run.

3. soupy macrumors newbie

This is one of those lesser of two evils scenarios:

You want simplicity, but you also want maximum performance. Unfortunately, they don't run hand-in-hand in this situation. Often programs will fail to do "house cleaning" appropriately. By this I mean old log files, old temp files, and some time just pure old copies of the program left on by the programmer who forgot to have them removed. All of these thing (while trivial by today's standards) take up space that you might need for other things.

What I would recommend would be to most definitely re-install all programs. This also ensures you have the least version (assuming no auto-update function is present) and it also ensures you have a clean install. As for personal files and documents (music, movies, whatever), I typically recommend transferring those over via a USB HDD (or failing that, burned CD/DVDs). I currently store almost everything externally on a RAID1 setup that my Mac doesn't require on a day-to-day basis to mitigate loss.

PS You will love the iMac it is what I use right now!

4. tuzeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Right...Thanks for the thoughtful response. Looks like I'll be busy next week.

5. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I just got a new 3.4 i7 this week and started new with a SSD. I did transfer my itunes library but freshly installed all apps again.