New iMac Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by irvingdog, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. irvingdog macrumors newbie

    Feb 8, 2004
    I have an iMac DV G3/400 that's starting to give clues that it's not much longer for the world, and I'd really like a 20" iMac to replace it. (I need some limited portability -- not enough to spring for the 17" PB, but more than a tower and external monitor.)

    Here's my dilemma: I have a computer purchase plan at work that ends Friday and I'd like to take advantage of it, but I wonder if I shouldn't wait for a G5 iMac. I haven't seen any talk of it on the rumor sites lately, so is it kind of a dead deal?

    Advice, either way, would be welcome. Thanks!
  2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2003
    depends on your needs. if you are just a normal user, go ahead and buy now. but if you really need the power (graphics, audio, video), i would say wait.

    an email, internet, office user really doesn't need a g5, but certainly it is nice.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    well if your plan ends Friday then there is your answer unless its a very small amount you save. 20" Imac isnt exactly Apples best value in my opinion and I think the 17" is a better value since its the same as the 20 minus the bigger screen. They will have a better machine this year we just dont when. Could be this tuesday;) could be late summer:mad: Find out if your company plans on renewing this plan. If not then buy if they are then wait. my 2 cents
  4. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    G5 iMac has little heads up at present. Many think its due and doable BUT none has advised of reliable rumors of when. It could be soon, it could be after the G5 PM and PB upgrades - which would push it well into the end of the year... Wish I knew...

Share This Page