New iMac or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darrinlewis, Nov 24, 2009.

1. darrinlewis macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone, :D
    I am looking to upgrade my current iBook G4 that currently runs Leopard. I would like to get either a new iMac or a MacBook Pro. I really like the new 27 inch iMac and its 3.06 Ghz processor and the 1 Terabyte hard drive. But its not exactly portable, I don't think I would take it everywhere but I might take it to some places.(I would get a carrying cases for it) I like the 15 inch MacBook Pro as well. It has a slower processor of 2.53 and a smaller 250 GB hard drive. 4 gigs of ram comes standard on both machines, and I don't think I will change that. With the educational discount they are both the same price (as I am a college student). I just don't know if I want another laptop (as I have 2 out of date ones laying around). I don't think I will game on it much. But I would do movie editing, I like using the iLife and iWorks apps. I think you get more for your money on the iMac. What do you think? I also really do not want to spend more than $2,000. :)

Thanks for your help,
    Darrin

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You will obviously get more value out of the iMac, but iThink that you should wait until January/February for the MacBook Pro updates. First off, whatever you get is going to be blazing fast compared to your current machine. Secondly, you don't really seem to have needs that would require the faster processors. The updates that will come in January/February will bring quad-core processors to the MacBook Pro family, that will be a huge improvement. Portability cannot be replicated by a 27" desktop - end of story.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't play the waiting game, you won't ever use the performance gains you get from Arrandale.

For the best value, iMacs win hands down. The new Core i5/i7 processors really make a difference. But it does suck a lot more power than previously. If you won't utilize the extra power draw for performance gains, I would get a MBP. For me, I use my computer everywhere, not just my desk. At school, in the car, in my bed, on the sofa, etc. I don't care about playing GTA 4 or MW2 on maximum settings and AA on. So the MBP is a good fit. For you, it might similar or totally different. Weigh your uses against the mobility.

4. darrinlewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a Windows laptop that I use for college now. I am taking classes that they use only use Windows and I didn't really want to run Windows in a virtual environment. I kinda would like something to come home to and put the laptop away for the night. The iMac wouldn't move off my desk hardly at all.

5. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

But you can use Windows in boot camp on a mac which is not virtual. Have to reboot though.

6. opera57 macrumors 6502

I have both an iMac and a Macbook Air at uni, and in 2 months I have only used the MBA a handful of times. The iMac is much nicer to use, much more comfortable to work on a desktop. For the times you need portability you could use your old iBook? [​IMG]