New iMac Quad Core i7 4x Faster for Rendering than iMac I bought 2 months ago?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shopkeeper, Nov 9, 2009.

1. shopkeeper macrumors newbie

After much speculation, research and hesitation on whether to hold out for a possible Quad Core iMac I took the plunge a couple of months ago and bought a Dual-Core iMac for 3D modeling and rendering.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I heard the news about quad-core i7 iMacs with hyper-threading to take full advantage of the 3D program I use (Autodesk 3DStudio Maxs, for those curious) and if i'm not mistaken with the potential to render up to 4 times faster than my current setup? (Could anyone confirm this since I'm no expert on actual computer hardware.)

To rub salt into the wound, new iMacs have a bigger screen with higher resolution for valuable extra space to dock floating palettes :(

To get to the point: What are my chances with apple of trading-up to the new i7 imac? The computer was bought online with the addition of the 3-year apple care. If a trade-up is possible what extra can I expect to pay and any other foreseeable hassles etc.

Any advice more than welcome. Thanks.

2. alywa macrumors 6502

Zero. Such is the cruel world of technology.

If you are upset over it, sell your current one and upgrade. My advice is to not worry about it, enjoy your computer for a few years, and upgrade to the hypothetical 16-core i64 which will be announced in 2012... right after you purchased a i9 8 core of course... ;)

3. easy-mac macrumors member

Sorry, but Apple won't do a trade up for a 2 month old computer. Pretty much the only way you could do this is if you were still in the 14 day return period. If you really need a quad core machine consider putting your current iMac on eBay or Craigslist and see what you can get that way. Too bad, but that's the way things are with technology, something faster is always around the corner. That said, is your current setup not working for you? If not then sell it, but if it is then hold out for a little while longer because there may or may not be unforeseen problems with the new quads.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

2 months ago everybody knew iMacs are getting updated.

When you bought it, the iMac did what you wanted to do.

Having a new thing on the market doesn't stop your existing computer from doing what it's doing. If you want the latest, then sell it, and get the new one.

5. ipodftw macrumors member

Its unlucky that you bought it before the update, but the old ones are still amazing, but in the end its up to you [​IMG] if your not happy sell and upgade

6. shopkeeper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones reply. I figured as much but maybe I was somehow hoping Apple would allow trade ins for any recent customers who were caught of guard so to speak.

Really?! I scoured forums for quite a while and don't remember reading or hearing about any confirmation that iMacs, especially Quad-Core were on the way. If anything rumours to the opposite suggesting iMacs were limited in regards to such an update. But hey, my mistake, my loss. I'll have to learn to live with it.

I agree and that is of course all true ,still doesn't dispel my nagging frustration of a slightly raw deal as if I had held out a little longer I would have been able to do my work a little better :)

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most people were fairly certain on an October update, few were defiant against it.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

There were confident rumors of updates, but you are right in saying that nobody thought quad core iMacs were coming this soon. That was believed to be far fetched and not possible until quad core laptop parts were available. Apple surprised us all with using a bigger screen size to allow for better cooling and thus the use of desktop processors.

Sorry about your frustration, it does stink when they update right after you purchase. I got caught when I bought a 20" first generation intel iMac and less than a month later they released the Core2Duo 24" iMac. I actually called a local store manager and he agreed to take it back and swap out if I would come in right away and pay the restocking fee and the upgrade difference. Well, I decided against it because I didn't want to pay the restocking fee. It wouldn't hurt to call a local store and see if you can find a sympathetic manager. Hey, it doesn't hurt to try. The worst they can say is no. :)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That was just based on Apple's habit of leading with the latest and the greatest on the MacBook Pro's with the iMac following with a Extreme version of the laptop CPUs in the top end iMacs.

Was refreshing to see Apple putting more effort into the iMac -- and not treat it as the bastard child of the MacBook Pro.

There still is a good shot at the MacBook Pros delivering Quads in the 17" and the top end version of the 15"

10. theeaglehasland macrumors newbie

Go into an Apple Store

If you purchased in an Apple Store then why not give it a go. I purchased my first iMac in 2006 and then about 6 weeks later the new core 3 duo came out. Not only did they swop it but they refunded me the price difference!! That show of goodwill has made them a customer for life. Be calm polite but firm stress you did your research and feel very disappointed. If you have spent alot with Apple over the years stress that as well. Good luck.