Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I got my new Imac quad core i5 2.8ghz yesterday and I noticed that there is a friggen hair between the glass and the LED display its self.
I called Apple and they told me to ship it back to them and due to heavy demand for the new Imac it could take up to A MONTH for them to return a new one to me!!
I told them no thanks.
They did give me the option to take it to my local apple reseller who will do this clean up for free.
Has anyone else has this issue?

Also I just purchased four 4G DDR3 PC1333 Super Talent ram sticks off ebay and got them next day just 30 min ago. I paid $374.91 for all 4 sticks.
They are 100% mac compatible and running AMAZING. So 16GB of ram for $374.91!!!!
Apple wants $1000!!!!!:apple:

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I did speak to one. She said that my Imac would have to go to a facility in Tennessee then a new one would be shipped to be as soon as one came available. She said "up to a month" but I am taking it into my local apple reseller they are gonna crack it open for me free of charge.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
As a suggestion, I would continue to use your new iMac for less then 7 days. Keep extra focus on its screen color, HDD noise, ensure its CD loader works, ensure its speakers work, all USB ports work, etc. etc. Keep using it to ensure nothing else is wrong with it. If you like your new iMac after this In-depth inspection time period, I'd simply ask the local re-seller to fix it (re: remove its hair from back of its glass). If you find something else wrong, then send the entire box back. If I remember correctly, most companies allow 14 day "return to source" time period. Hopefully, Apple Online store allows the same. This is what I'd do...

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I did speak to one. She said that my Imac would have to go to a facility in Tennessee then a new one would be shipped to be as soon as one came available. She said "up to a month" but I am taking it into my local apple reseller they are gonna crack it open for me free of charge.

When I spoke to AC yesterday morning (I returned my 27" i7) there was no mention of a one month wait. If it is going to be more than a week or so, I will ask for a refund and be done with this.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Just got off the phone with Apple and with a lot of complaining they said they will do an in store replacement if there are any issues found with the Imac. I am a disabled Iraq war vet so I bought this through the Government employee store on apples website for a cool $100 discount. Im just happy they will replace it in store. I walk with cain and have 12 shot disks in my back and Im only 24 so there is ZERO way I could haul this thing around to ship it.
I already have to have a kid around the block help me take it to the apple store this weekend for the inspection.

symbology

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Just got off the phone with Apple and with a lot of complaining they said they will do an in store replacement if there are any issues found with the Imac. I am a disabled Iraq war vet so I bought this through the Government employee store on apples website for a cool $100 discount. Im just happy they will replace it in store. I walk with cain and have 12 shot disks in my back and Im only 24 so there is ZERO way I could haul this thing around to ship it.
I already have to have a kid around the block help me take it to the apple store this weekend for the inspection.

Good luck with the exchange.

Thank you for serving our Country. Sorry to hear of your incurred disabilities.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I may be disabled but my country is taking care of me the right now.
Ohwell I am 24 and I have a 14 month old son who is a lightning bolt....Wish I had the energy to keep up with him. At the moment has was just running around with my light up master replica Yoda light saber. It was cute.

I have a core 2 quad 3.5ghz Q9550S Hackintosh I was using with 8GB of ram but I got tired of writing ktext keys for every update...
It geekbenches at 14302 which is AMAZING for $1300 worth of parts

EnterTheSwamp

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Try getting some compressed air and gently lifting the glass from the top of the display. IT is supposed to be held by magnets. I have read about those opening up the imac that when they put it back together they had the same issue, but they just gently pride away the glass leaving enough room to blast some air in it. Might be worth a shot instead of returning.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Well I am really good friends with the two guys who own the Apple reseller location in Columbus Georgia. Its called Graphicom and they give all military soliders, retired or active a tax free discount. So basically they take the tax off of anything you buy from them. Ive spend $$$$$$ with them and never paid a dime of tax. They have the best service and always make sure they give you the best business. :apple:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I got my new Imac quad core i5 2.8ghz yesterday and I noticed that there is a friggen hair between the glass and the LED display its self.
I called Apple and they told me to ship it back to them and due to heavy demand for the new Imac it could take up to A MONTH for them to return a new one to me!!
I told them no thanks.
They did give me the option to take it to my local apple reseller who will do this clean up for free.
Has anyone else has this issue?

Also I just purchased four 4G DDR3 PC1333 Super Talent ram sticks off ebay and got them next day just 30 min ago. I paid $374.91 for all 4 sticks.
They are 100% mac compatible and running AMAZING. So 16GB of ram for $374.91!!!!
Apple wants $1000!!!!!:apple:

Might be different from the US, but here in the UK I rang up to get my 27" i7 / 2tb HDD sent back and replaced yesterday, and my new one is due 16th August. If you have the stock i5 though then the 1 month wait time would seem pretty accurate if the demand is high, since most people will prefer to upgrade the RAM themselves and the i5 is good enough for general use.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Wow!

I may be disabled but my country is taking care of me the right now.
Ohwell I am 24 and I have a 14 month old son who is a lightning bolt....Wish I had the energy to keep up with him. At the moment has was just running around with my light up master replica Yoda light saber. It was cute.

I have a core 2 quad 3.5ghz Q9550S Hackintosh I was using with 8GB of ram but I got tired of writing ktext keys for every update...
It geekbenches at 14302 which is AMAZING for $1300 worth of parts

14302! WOW!

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
There are no such supply issues.

I ordered a cto system 27" i7 16gb 2tb+ssd
First came 8/2
Replacement came 8/9
Replaced again coming 8/16

Stock systems should be even more plentiful.

Every apple store I've called has a handful of each configuration in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.