New iMac, Sales Tax, or Is It Time to Refuse the Order?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NewOldMacGuy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. NewOldMacGuy macrumors newbie

New old Mac guy here. After 23 years as a PC guy, I've decided to return (yes return) to a Mac. My last Mac was a 1987 Mac Plus, then in 1988 I went over to the "dark side" (i.e., PC). About six months ago, I decided to return to a Mac . . . .

But why pay sales tax? That's a lot of money on a $3000 purchase (27", i7, 16Gb, 2Tb drive, 2MB video card . . . all the updates), so I waited until this past Friday to purchase during Missouri's sales tax holiday. I wanted to get my order in as soon as possible, so just a few minutes after midnight (the sales tax holiday started at 12:01---I checked) I started the order and pushed the "place the order" button just past 1:00 a.m. . . . which is just past 11:00 p.m. on Thursday in California, so when my confirmation email came, there was sales tax! So I called and was first informed that I bought too early then was told the problem would be fixed "in 24--48 hours." It wasn't and still isn't. The computer will be here tomorrow or the next day and at this point I'm thinking about refusing it and . . . and buying two or maybe three PCs (you know, they're cheaper).

I searched the forums here and don't see that anyone here has had the same issue. Any thoughts or advice? I really thought I wanted to be a new old Mac guy, but I'm having doubts.

2. Macknife macrumors newbie

Call apple again and make them fix it. If not you have 14 days to drop it off at an apple store. You could also dispute the sales tax charge via your credit card company.

I bought the new macbook pro had some problems with dvd drive ejecting disks, then second one crashed when doing rendering and was sluggish all around. Got a 3rd Macbook pro that worked just fine but found out that I needed 16gb of RAM on a Macbook Pro that would be around $1600. On an iMac it only cost $124. So for less money I got a 3.4ghz iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7, apple care was also half the price so I scored a 32Gb ipad 2 for $250 extra dollars.

Moral of the story take advantage of that 14 day return policy.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

First off, you shouldn't have paid Apple to upgrade the RAM...that was $600 where you could have saved and did a self-upgrade.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Was the MO sales tax weekend totally no sales tax? When NY used to do that it was only good on items that cost less than a certain dollar amount....and an iMac would have been way over that limit.

5. NewOldMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the return policy.

Yeah. I sorta knew about that (and had even looked at the YouTube videos), and if I had been just an old Mac guy, I would have been more comfortable doing the upgrade myself. As a new old Mac guy---from the years when getting a Mac any bigger than 128k required soldering---I was willing to pay for an all-Apple system that worked straight out of the box---just look at all the extra money I had from not having to pay sales tax . . . on wait . . . I did pay sales tax!

No sales tax on computers, computer systems, and peripherals up to $3500.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Because it's your duty as a person living in the United States of America.

I live in sunny California and paid 10% state sales tax on my $2,600 BTO iMac and I didn't cry about it.

7. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I would love to pay your guys sales tax, here in the UK we pay 20% on everything.

With regard to the thread, you need to just badger apple constantly, it doesn't matter what time it was in california, you are not there. Keep phoning them, and ask for it to be refunded to you, you will have proof of purchase of the time and everything. If they still don't do anything tell them you will be dropping it off at the store as soon as it arrives for a full refund. If that doesn't scare them enough then actually take it to the store and they may finally sort it out there for you and if not just return it for a full refund and buy 5 or 6 PCs.

8. NewOldMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, it seems like I touched a nerve there.

Actually, it's NOT my duty to pay sales tax on the days the state offers a "Sales Tax Holiday." That's why I waited a few months to make the purchase. Me paying sales tax during the sales tax holiday (i.e., when I wasn't obligated to pay it) would be about the same as you putting in an extra couple hundred that you weren't obligated to pay . . . which I assume you probably didn't do?

9. NewOldMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

All I have to say about the 20% tax on everything is just "!yikes!"

Thanks for your comment, and I do like your plan. I called Apple again this morning and they assured me everything will be worked out (although it may take some time) and to go ahead and accept the shipment . . . which is good because the FedEx guy arrived a day early just moments after I hung up (as of just a few moments ago I am the owner of a brand new still-in-the-box 27" 3.4gHz i7 iMac). I hadn't had any direct dealing with Apple in years and wondered if this was a common problem and nothing to worry about, or if something had gone wrong (I know Apple has good customer service scores, but as an outsider looking in, Apple seems to be a pretty cocky "we don't make mistakes" company). So far I haven't heard from anyone who has had the problem (although customer service assured me that it had happened to several people).

One person pointed out that it's only $200, and that is true, but it's my $200.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

It took you an entire paragraph to reply to my two sentences, that only shows who's reacting to who here...

Listen bud, if you want to return your iMac over a couple hundred dollars, go ahead, no one is stopping you. The rest of us, whether we paid sales tax or not, will only continue to use and enjoy our iMacs. I'm definitely enjoying all the goodness my BTO 2011 27" iMac with 3.4GHz quad-core i7 CPU, 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M, 16GB RAM, and 1TB HDD has been giving me. :)

11. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Options

A: Return it. - all money returned and no computer

B: Fight it. Apple's usually pretty good about customer service. - Medium sized hassle.

C: Return it and buy it from online from a store that doesn't charge sales tax. i.e. Mac Connection, Amazon, Small Dog, OWC...

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

PowerMax! Buy from Oregon, where you are guaranteed no sales tax.

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Well, typically sales tax holidays are for "back to school" purchases... So the state could start asking you for proof of student status.

I rather would have paid the $200 over the ram charge,

You have options to go higher should you feel you aren't getting it sorted out. Ask for a supervisor next time you call if you need too.

Meanwhile, enjoy the new computer!

14. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

thats why i always buy from people on craigslist, dont pay tax. illinois says we are supposed to now but im not paying tax on my imac i just bought my truck i bought off of craigslist or my boat. i refuse to pay any taxes, especially state or federal.

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Everywhere I've lived you pay vehicle sales tax when you go to register it in your name....

Please be sure to not avail yourself of any public services, no calling 911, no driving on the roads, not send your kids to public school.

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Normally I'd say to buy locally and help your bankrupt locality, however in this case I'd have to hesitate since when you buy from PowerMax you help my bankrupt locality (they are a little more than a mile from where I work.)