New iMac updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 7254278, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

    Apr 11, 2004
    When do you guys think we will be seeing new iMac updates.
    I think this tuesday.
    Having the eMac above the iMac and at a way lower price is a disgrace. I mean good for the eMac but its supposed to be a lowend machine and the iMac is supposedly 1 step down from G5.
    I hop they make it a G5 though!

    Give me your thoughts people!
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

    Jul 9, 2003
    hopefully in the next couple weeks the imac is pretty outdated compared to the emac
    if apple is planning on making the next upgrade a G5 for the imac then it might take longer, though i think it makes sense to do one more G4 upgrade to 1.33Ghz on the 15 inch and 1.5Ghz on the 17 and 20 inch

  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I do beleive that the new iMacs will be announced when the great jimsowden says they will be announced. So whats the word Jim???
  4. Lancetx macrumors 68000


    Aug 11, 2003
    The store he works for got their eMac shipment the night before they were released, so he should know the night before the iMacs come unless they end up being a G5 that is announced at WWDC or something.
  5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816


    Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Another music week...

    I don't think we will see iMac updates this week.

    Wednesday is the 1-year anniversary of iTMS, so I'd expect something related to that. Maybe new iPods? More additions to the music store (artists and features)? iTunes 5?

    If we do see iMac (or any other CPU) updates, I will be surprised.
  6. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Apr 11, 2004
    Ipods come out like every month i would be truely disapointed to see new ipods before new imacs even though im sure its easier to amke new ipods.
  7. tom.96 Suspended

    Jun 13, 2003
    Hmmmm I've been thinking about this and I feel that the following might happen. Its all speculation on my part, just on gut feeling not hard facts!

    The PBs have the new 1.5 ghz G4. So if this chip is out, we could have already seen this in an imac last week. The delay suggests to me that Apple is waiting for a G5, and the length of wait could be attributed to the production problems noted on this site for G5's.

    I reckon that imacs could be out before PMs. This is because I assume that lower speeds of G5 are easier to make, and so could be available before the top end G5s for the PMs.

    I am increasingly seeing the G4 as a really good mobile CPU and the G5 as a power desktop chip. Given the price point of the imac I'd say a low (1.6-8) G5 is more likely that a G4.

    Just my thoughts! :)
  8. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Yep, I think something could happen today...3 weeks running :)

    No G5...WWDC or later for such a significant change
  9. stoid macrumors 601


    Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    If there is a G5 in the iMac, I would bet that there will also be a change in form factor. Not necessarily significant, but something to set it apart as being a G5 at first glance.
  10. macguymike macrumors 6502

    Mar 28, 2003
    I see a problem with this. If they stick a G5 in the iMac, then they will have a G5 in a "consumer" line before their "professional" line of laptops.

    Doesn't seem to me like they'd do that. Not that I'd complain if they went and proved me wrong.

    I'm going to stick by my previous guess:

    iMac 15: 1.33 G4, 64MB graphics
    iMac 17: 1.5 G4 (128MB graphics?)
    iMac 20: 1.5 G4, 128MB graphics, 512MB RAM

    Upgraded 8x SuperDrive on all models. Possibly bluetooth standard as well.
  11. mms macrumors 6502a

    Oct 8, 2003
    iPod's don't come out THAT often, although they do, I believe, are updated more frequently than Apple's computer line. But you can't blame Apple for that, since it's selling more iPods than computers right now. BTW, the last iPod update was in January's MacWorld San Francisco, and that was a minor change in the iPod line, and mainly the intro of iPod mini. Since Apple has incredibly high demand for the iPod mini right now, I doubt that would be updated anytime soon... I'm hoping for 4G iPods around June or July.
  12. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    You see the real problem, is there is NO PROBLEM. Holding back an iMac G5 because you can't get the G5 into a PB, has to be the worst idea I have ever heard.

    Apple will not hold back G5 iMacs because they can't get the G5 into a PB.
  13. chasingapple macrumors regular


    Mar 18, 2004
    Come WWDC Apple will have this strategy.

    Low end - Single G4 eMac
    Mid end - Single G5 iMac
    High end - Dual G5 Powermac (no more single G5 PM's)

    Mark my words :)
  14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601


    Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    I agree. These are completly different topics. The PB will use a different CPU then the iMac. I guess the iMac could use the 970 produced in a 130nm process - the same thats in the current PowerMacs. Should be available in qtys.
  15. denm316 macrumors 6502

    Oct 16, 2003
    I agree with some others, the fact of putting a G5 in consumer models before all of the pro models are updated seems unlikely.

    I dont see the iMac in need of a G5, most people dont need a G5, I think with some higher G4 speeds, faster RAM and at least a 128MB Video Card, the iMac would be a half decent computer, and dont forget a little price drop as well.
  16. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Apr 11, 2004
    Payment Plan

    Guys also im considering a PB or imac but i wanted to know if the payment loan plan is a good way to go or if its a rip.
  17. Thanatoast macrumors 65816


    Dec 3, 2002
    It's a rip. It's essentially a credit line (ala credit card) with a ludicrous interest rate. Save up for a big down payment :)
  18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  19. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a


    Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny

    true most people dont "need" at g5 in an imac... but for the price... the "old moldy" g4 thats in the super cheap super nice emac does not cut it in an imac...

    so whether people need it or not... a g5 in an imac will sell more imacs...
  20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001
    Well, given that the iMovie and iDVD are bundled along with the iMacs, a G5 would greatly help in productivity - and with GarageBand as well. So you'd have a great little machine that had potential to stay in the game a lot longer than if you just updated the thing with a faster G4....

    And you'd also get a nice boost on the bus speed :D

    So put single G5s in the iMac and all duals in the PowerMacs - its happened before, so there's no question it could happen again. As for when? Who knows. I'd imagine the PowerMacs will be updated at WWDC - sad as that is. So maybe they'll do the iMacs several weeks before that.

  21. MikeTheC Guest


    Apr 26, 2004
    Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    While it's true I haven't a clue about Apple's internal strategizing, I would think that putting a G5 in the consumer line-up would be good for public relations. The perception that the PC has it over the Mac due to high clock speeds, et al, would be mitigated in some part by being able to say you can get a consumer-model 64 bit system. Given that the PC world is not really ready to go toe-to-toe with the Mac in the 64 bit environment, this would help demonstrate Apple is pulling ahead.

    At this point, you have to obtain a (probably expensive, don't really know) 64 bit version of WinXP Pro or go with a 64 bit version of Linux if you want to run a 64 bit PC. Then, given the fact that there are two different implimentations of 64 bit computing in the PC world (AMD and Intel), what about compatibility? Maybe it's an issue, and maybe it's not, but it has gotta mean different optimizations. Then, that only gets you over the OS hurdle. On the Intel 64 bit implimentation, you really lose compatibility (if I remember rightly, or at least sacrifice performance) if you run a 32 bit app. The AMD implimentation I don't think necessarilly takes a performance hit, but you don't get a benefit if you continue to run 32 bit apps. As far as running a 64 bit Linux OS, I don't know how that's working out at this point.

    The point is that at the moment, 64 bit computing in the PC world isn't as high a priority as it is on the Mac platform, and you really don't have a lot of opportunity if you are a typical "mere mortal" user to use or benefit from it. On the other hand, this leaves Apple in the supremely desirable "cutting edge" position. In other words, this gives significant and meaningful bragging rights.

    Remember something else: Microsoft is still largely gearing up for continuing to function in the 32 bit processor space. I don't know what Longhorn will bring to the table on this (I can't imagine Microsoft is ignoring 64 bit computing) but it doesn't matter because by the time Microsoft "begins" to put out a 64 bit OS, Apple will already have a proven track record, years of experience, and an OS that is fully "ready for prime time". And, more to the point, Apple will have a much higher market penetration of 64 bit computing.

    And, speaking of Linux/UNIX, don't let's forget the fact that the improvements in that OS environment will bleed into future versions of Mac OS X. Again, Apple stands to directly profit from both it's own in-house innovations and the innovations of the Linux/UNIX developer community. This is all IN ADDITION to the fact that if you run a non-Windows system, you also don't have to worry about all the hacking and VBS-based viruses, etc., that you do if you are a Windows user.

    Lastly, in my position of telephone tech support for a major PC maker (sorry, folks, but I gotta earn a living somehow), I can tell you for a fact that the majority of people I talk to who use Windows hate Microsoft, and everything Apple can do to twist the screws further will only help them in the end. Believe me when I tell you that, in large part, if our customers could walk away from Windows, they would do it. And, if Apple keeps doing what they're doing, our customers may well become Apple's, along with many from other PC manufacturers.

    Just my 2¢.

  22. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Apr 11, 2004

    How much interest is it i mean $71 seems resonble too me?
    But did here of rediculouse interest rates but i never could find out how much.

    By the way this will be my 1 mac i got EXTREMLEY weary of my 1.8 compaq :mad: !!!
  23. jimsowden macrumors 68000


    Sep 6, 2003
    Thats how how, but I will probably be able to get the specs the business day before release. BTW, looks like nothing Hardware related for tommorrow.

Share This Page