Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdave2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
I am looking at buying the midrange 3.2gzh 27 inch iMac. I can get a refurbished one delivered to the Apple Store for $1699 or can purchase a new one from Best Buy for the same price. Is the support from the Apple Store worth getting refurbished vs new?

Thanks

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
The refurb will come in a plain box. There are a few more customization options on the Apple Refurbs, I would highly recommend at least the 1 TB Fusion drive though the 2 TB would be even better than that as it will give you 128 GB of Flash Drive whereas the latter only gives you 24 GB. I would always recommend the Apple Store over Best Buy, I would also spend the extra $169 for the Apple Care if you can. Hope this helps.

macdave2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
The model I'm looking at comes with the 1 tb fusion drive although if I see one upgraded to the 2 I'll jump on that.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm not sure what "support from the Apple Store" has to do with it. Apple Store (and AppleCare via the telephone) will provide support for that iMac, regardless of where you bought it.

The thing to look at with the refurbs is that they're often build-to-order configurations that you can't get when buying in-store - maybe the "same price" isn't really the same Mac they have at Best Buy, though maybe it is (look really closely at the specs). I've never been overwhelmed by the depth of the discount offered with a refurb, but since it comes with an as-new warranty and cosmetic flaws are rare, any discount is better than none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.